Bosley Mark I Sports Car (R&T, August 1955)

1st Gen HEMI projects and products.

Moderator: scottm

scottm

Bosley Mark I Sports Car (R&T, August 1955)

Post by scottm »

The Bosley Mark I Sports Car (Road & Track, August 1955)
https://www.undiscoveredclassics.com/fo ... gust-1955/
Special of the Month (Road & Track, August 1955)
Fiberglass Sports Car By Bosley
By John Bond

Like hundreds of other automobile enthusiasts young Richard W. Bosley of Mentor, Ohio, dreamed of someday building real automobiles in limited quantities for people who appreciate the best. With that thought in mind, work commenced on a prototype which was to embody all the features that Mr. Bosley felt car fanciers would appreciate.

Three years and a five-figure investment later, the finished product emerged and made its debut at Sebring in March of this year – as a spectator, not a participant. But here is Dick’s story in his own words:

“Three years ago I was beaten by my mother’s Olds in my new sports car and at that time decided that I had to have something more potent. I had wanted to build a car for several years but lacked the knowledge required to form body panels and it was about this time that reinforced plastics were becoming a practical material for hand lay-up.

I sold the sports car to have some ready capital in the month of June 1952. The entire summer (evenings) was consumed on the drawing board and construction started in September 1952. Since my main interest was to have a free hand in the coachwork department, it was necessary to design a frame from the ground up. Since I am a graduate from Ohio State horticulture, I had no background except what I had read in Road and Track.

Believe me, those articles on “sports car design” were my bible. I only wish you would supplement it by some comprehensive articles on how to build a fine, finished automobile from the corner post to window frame. Getting back to the car, the frame is 4 inch diameter 16 gauge mild steel tube (as per your articles) welded into a ’50 Ford front cross member.

The rear suspension is a modification of the C Jaguar formula (that you published) with coil springs. Believe me it works. The engine is a ’52 Chrysler V8 with a Cunningham manifold connected to a 5 speed transmission with an open drive shaft to a ’48 Mercury rear axle. The wheels are obviously Halibrand.

The entire rear of the car is gas tank (55 gallons) which leaves no room for luggage but is nice for long races. The filler is in the roof. The hood hinges low in the front for easy access and has a slot where it meets the windshields for exit of the hot air under the hood.

The doors are opened by a key (GM trunk lock mechanism) which is fine except in Le Mans starts. The door windows are held in by three knobs and when removed allow ample ventilation. The rear quarter windows are permanently fixed. 

Here are some dimensions:

* Wheelbase: 102”
* Tread: 58” front / 60” rear
* Height: 48”
* Width: 70”
* Overall Length: 168”
* Weight: 3360 lbs with 10 gallons of gas, spare, etc
* Top Speed (estimated): 160 mph in 5th gear
* Transmission: Direct in 4th and geared up in 5th

The ratios are good for road use, and combined with the lugging power you can slow to 25 mph in 5thand still pull away smoothly. I shall refrain from giving you any performance figures as they would not be official but it handles very well in my estimation.

The brakes are 12 x 2 and ½” in front and 12 and 1 and 3/4” in the rear, not sufficient for competition but I hope to install a set of Halibrand’s new double disc brakes. The speedometer and tach are made up special from Ford police speedometers.

The car has Bendix power brakes. I made all body parts myself but the painting, upholstering and technical assistance were by Russels Custom Body Shop in Painesville, Ohio. The photographs are by Cavan Studio in Cleveland. Building the car occupied 2 and ½ years of painstaking evening work and consumed far more dollars than I had ever imagined!”

About all we can add to this story is that the car is for sale. How else is a young entrepreneur going to proceed? Oh yes, the color? Italian red, of course!
More Photos: http://www.thehemi.com/gallery3/index.p ... /GT-Mark-I

I never heard of the Bosley until I came across this recently. It was a pretty slick vehicle!

#Bosley #BosleyGT #BosleyGTMarkI #Fiberglass #Chrysler #EarlyHEMI #HEMI #Mopar