354 boat motor???

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

cknoop

354 boat motor???

Post by cknoop »

I have a 354 in a boat the drive gear (tranns) or what ever you call it is mounted on the front of the motor. I was told you could use the motor in a car no prpblem just get a oil pan and a front cover is that right? and is the drive gear worth anything by its self? thanks for any info
Powerflite

Post by Powerflite »

I don't know about the drive gear value, but I do know that you cannot use the marine motor in a car directly without a rebuild. First, the crankshaft has no provision to mount the timing gear. You need to pull out the crank and have a shop weld the mount on, or put in a car crankshaft (usually cheaper). The camshaft is also different and will not work under a car timing cover so it must be changed. It is also possible that the motor turns the wrong direction, but usually only if the boat had a pair of motors, one CW and the other CCW. In that case, you must change out the cam and crank as well as the distributor and gear. Much of the rest of the motor can be used as is. Nice timing covers for it can be obtained from Hot Heads or TRWaters. PAW and Hot Heads makes a nice aluminum rear-sump oil pan, or you can use a 392 hemi oil pan if you need a center-sump.