bypass for the oil filter on a marine block

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

budmspeeco

bypass for the oil filter on a marine block

Post by budmspeeco »

I am done with the 331 marine short block assembly. On the boss for the oil filter the normal two outlets are sealed with o-rings and the third small port ,which I think was the bypass on a marine engine, is on the right side of the two larger ports. I tapped it with an 1/8th inch pipe plug deep enough to make it possible to install a late oil filter housing without hitting the pipe plug itself. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Was I correct in plugging the small port ? It looks like it just goes back into the crank cavity. Someone?
'48 anglia
Bailiesdad

Re: bypass for the oil filter on a marine block

Post by Bailiesdad »

budmspeeco wrote:I am done with the 331 marine short block assembly. On the boss for the oil filter the normal two outlets are sealed with o-rings and the third small port ,which I think was the bypass on a marine engine, is on the right side of the two larger ports. I tapped it with an 1/8th inch pipe plug deep enough to make it possible to install a late oil filter housing without hitting the pipe plug itself. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Was I correct in plugging the small port ? It looks like it just goes back into the crank cavity. Someone?

The boss for a marine engine oil filter is on the oil cooler. The oil cooler mounts to the block.