Industrial 331 Hemi

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

redrider

Industrial 331 Hemi

Post by redrider »

Hello everyone! I'm new here. I have a 1954 331 Industrial Hemi. It is a little unusual. It has Ind. valve covers. It has non adjustable rockers and hydraulic lifters. It has NO numbers in front of the valley cover. It has an identiplate behind the left head, the info on the plate is IND 24A 978 5428. The block casting number is 1330129, so it is a 331. The head casting numbers are 148633 1. I think these are auto heads. The intake is 2bbl with a propane system on it. The intake manifold casting number is 1326812-2.
Will someone please check a 2bbl automobile intake manifold to verify these are auto heads? I wonder if Chrysler made a hydraulic industrial cam or is this an auto engine that Chrysler pulled out of the car line and sent it to be an industrial engine. The engine is still completely together. I've had the valve covers off, this is the cleanest engine i've seen in a long time. There is no sludge buildup at all. If anyone has any information I will appreciate it. Thank YOU, redrider
Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often.
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

Chrysler often used the same casting number for car or truck applications. The truck or industrial applications will usually have larger diameter (ID)exhaust guides, as these applications used sodium filled valves.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
George

Re: Industrial 331 Hemi

Post by George »

redrider wrote:Hello everyone! I'm new here. I have a 1954 331 Industrial Hemi. It is a little unusual. It has Ind. valve covers. It has non adjustable rockers and hydraulic lifters. It has NO numbers in front of the valley cover. It has an identiplate behind the left head, the info on the plate is IND 24A 978 5428. The block casting number is 1330129, so it is a 331. The head casting numbers are 148633 1. I think these are auto heads. The intake is 2bbl with a propane system on it. The intake manifold casting number is 1326812-2.
Will someone please check a 2bbl automobile intake manifold to verify these are auto heads? I wonder if Chrysler made a hydraulic industrial cam or is this an auto engine that Chrysler pulled out of the car line and sent it to be an industrial engine. The engine is still completely together. I've had the valve covers off, this is the cleanest engine i've seen in a long time. There is no sludge buildup at all. If anyone has any information I will appreciate it. Thank YOU, redrider
If the head # is 1486833 it is/should be the car head. Besides the sodium filled ex. valves some ind. heads had a narrow tall cross over under the carb, they are square on car intakes. If you want to keep the propane I've heard that they like compression in the 10-12 range & get a matching cam for the compression. If you want to run gas get a '54 4bl intake, still need to change the cam. you'll want a front cover off a 51-54 car