what have I got

Help with decoding your Hemi engine.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

hotcargo

what have I got

Post by hotcargo »

Hi Guy's , I'm a newbie from Australia , just received a hemi for a project , engine number 1858422 and under that is stamped 586 , the casting numbers for the heads are 1733463 any help would be very appreciated , also the top water inlets in the block are more towards the centre , not like a 392 which are more towards the heads , thanks in advance
George

Post by George »

head# is for 354
hotcargo

Post by hotcargo »

Thanks George , casting numbers on block left bank...W-7........1619829-7 , right bank.......W.....3218.....A-1 , any ideas on the water hole spacings , also measuring with a steel rule it looks like a 4 inch bore , just trying to work out what weve got here and what it was out of .....Thanks[/img]
George

Post by George »

That # w/o the -7 is 354. Standard bore is 3.9375. You'll need to get someone to mike it to know exactly what your situation is. A1 is the foundry that made the block. There is a flat @ the front of the vally pan, if legible there is a code that tells what it was. which water holes we talking about?
hotcargo

Post by hotcargo »

Your very helpful George , and I thank you for your time , the code that is stamped under the engine number in front of the valley cover is 586 , the water holes on front of the block ( where I have seen the use of a big block chev water pump ) are spaced in real close to where the timing cover is , the centre to centre hole measurement is 7 1/8 inches , when I have looked at other blocks over the years I remember the water holes are spaced out a lot further . Just checked with a big block chev water pump and there is more than a complete hole showing either side . Friends who have looked at this are baffled . The engine we have is complete also , 4bbl manifold to sump.....Thanks
George

Post by George »

The -7 may change what it is, can't seem to find the # w the -7. The holes on my 331 are about 9" apart. Go to parts store & measure a SBC water pump, if simular width it would seem to be a Dodge or maybe a DeSoto block. Does the heads fit? If they dont that would confirm quickly. DeSoto heads/block are shorter than Chr. & Dodge even shorter.
hotcargo

Post by hotcargo »

thanks George , I've just been told it is a chrysler and was built on the 27/3/58 , high nickle content ...Special Application ...block ,( it has S A stamped on the back of the valley cover face ) as it has a front engine mount built into the timing cover under the crank pulley ( Which I am not going to use ) , yes the heads do fit with all the original rocker gear , the valve covers are chrysler fire power, the crankshaft is 1619647, the rods are 1821345 so it all points to a 1958 Chrysler 354 Special Application, small block Chev water pump is still much too wide , so will probably machine up a front cover to incorporate a 292 chevy pump as I have a couple of new ones here ...........anyone heard of the S A blocks ?
hotcargo

Post by hotcargo »

Pulled the engine down and stripped all the paint off the block today and cleaned the engine number area with steel wool and found that the code is 58S , not a 6 as it looked like under the paint , so can any body tell me does that code make sense..........and what about S A blocks ......a friend suggested it might be a truck block .......????????...........Thanks
ks662

Post by ks662 »

58S shows a 354 poly,1958 Saratoga in my books.Must be a conversion.
I've got a we56(331 poly) with 354 heads.Found it in an irigation pump still working away after who knows how many years.Sounds like a good find!
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

The 1619829 block was used for both car and truck/industrial applications. The front face was machined differently for either the car type front cover and waterpump, or the truck cast iron type cover and pump.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
hotcargo

Post by hotcargo »

Howdy , Nah , not a poly block , the pushrod holes in the block are all in a line , not staggered , did '58 trucks have a front mount under the front of the crank ????? also machined up the adaptors to use a BBC water pump all nicely ported for maximum water flow , just really intrigued to find out what this thing came out of ?????? Thanks