392 Hemi conversion

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Hemi07

392 Hemi conversion

Post by Hemi07 »

Hello,

I am new to this site, so I hope I am posting this in the correct forum.

I have a chance to trade my 383 HP motor out of my 1969 Charger, for a fresh rebuilt 392. my motor and tranny are also fresh rebuilds. I was wondering if this is worth it.

Plus I would like to know how hard it is to do this conversion.

any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

If you go to the bottom of the home page for this site and click on the Tips & Tricks link, then click on the Early Hemi to B&E Body Engine Swap article, then click the link to the PDF file you can read my article on that swap. You can also check out the other article by Mopar Charlie, which has some good info, but also has some misleading info too. The biggest hassle to the swap is the problem of headers if you don't want to run factory exhaust manifolds, there aren't any off the shelf that will fit and you will have to modify some as described in my article. Otherwise it's not too hard of a swap, but to be brutally honest with you, you can probably get more power out of a well built B or RB engine and carry 100 lbs less weight over the front suspension. All things being equal, the rebuilt 392 is worth more than a rebuilt 383, and if you're more interested in seeing a big set of hemi valve covers under your hood than in how much horsepower you can put to the ground then I would say go for it!
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
Hemi07

Post by Hemi07 »

Thanks for the info, I could really care less about how much power is going to the ground, I mostly go to car shows and cruise ins. Plus I would love to see a big set of Hemi Valve covers under the hood.

Again thanks for help!!
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

If you decide to go ahead with the swap and have more questions go ahead and email me, my email address is at the bottom of the swap article. I'm going to be pulling my heads in the next few weeks and since I finally got a digital camera I'm hoping to get some pictures of the modified headers and motor mount brackets to Scott to add to the article.
Powerflite

Post by Powerflite »

I have performed a 392 hemi swap in a few cars now including a 68 A-body Barracuda, a 56 Savoy, and a Dodge truck. I wouldn't even consider putting one in a car you wanted to drive much without cutting a lot of weight off of them. The cars handle horribly with all the extra weight of a stock 392 motor. The problem is that a lot of that weight is up high where it really hurts too. You can lose a lot of weight by using an aluminum intake, heads and water pump. Do that and deal with the pain of custom headers, and you will have a nice setup. I think a 426 crate motor would be better for a Charger, but if you don't have the $$, a 392 might be a good alternative.
Hemi07

Post by Hemi07 »

I would love a crate 426, just don't have the cash. I was reading the article on the conversion, and now I am not sure as I would have to lose the power steering and the power brakes. I really like having both of those on my charger. But at the same time I would love to have the hemi in it.

Thanks for all of the help from all of you guys!!
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Your other option would be to go the 5.7 Hemi route. That is what I'm doing. I picked one up for $1,700, but the engine management system will probably cost more than the engine. With TTI's help (they make headers and motor mount brackets for the swap) it's pretty much a bolt in and I can put my power steering and power brakes back on. Just something else you might consider, and it would still cost less than a 426 crate hemi.
Hemi07

Post by Hemi07 »

I thought about one of the new ones, but I really like the old school look.

I also may have a stupid question, I have seen a couple of 69 charger 500 with 426 hemis in them and they still have the power brakes and stuff. So I guess my question is, what is the reason that stuff won't fit when you use a 392?

Thanks
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

The 392 is wider if I'm not mistaken. I'm not so sure you can't use power brakes if you get the small booster and you the sissor stuff from a 70 up A-body. It would be a trail and error deal, I don't have any experience making that work though. Just throwing out ideas.

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
Powerflite

Post by Powerflite »

I agree. I believe it is wider and the exhaust exits at a lower angle than the 426. I used one of those brake linkage arms or scissors from a later A-body on my 68 Barracuda. It looks a little goofy to me, but it works. There may be some adaptation required to use it on the B-body, I'm not sure. The exhaust is very tight around the manual steering box as it is; but you should be able to have power steering by swapping over to a power rack and pinion at the same time. This would reduce the weight of the car and give you much more room for your exhaust.
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

When I say that I don't have experience of not making the scissor work, I actually had it set up in my early A with a sb mopar of course. Just not with an early Hemi. But I bet it would work if it would clear the hood on the B-body's or E's for that matter.

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
Hemi07

Post by Hemi07 »

I will have to look and see what this cost. as I said I rebuilt the 383 hp motor, and it runs real good. maybe I will just get lucky and find a 426 some day.
NE57

Re: 392 Hemi conversion

Post by NE57 »

>> by 392heminut » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:35 am

If you decide to go ahead with the swap and have more questions go ahead and email me, my email address is at the bottom of the swap article. I'm going to be pulling my heads in the next few weeks and since I finally got a digital camera I'm hoping to get some pictures of the modified headers and motor mount brackets to Scott to add to the article.<<

Larry, Did you ever get those pics?
Neil
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Neil, that is an old post! If you need pics of something specific let me know and I'll try to accommodate you. I put stuff on the back burner and it doesn't get done. This last year has been especially bad, my son is graduating and he has been wrestling all over the place and with me working on a wrestling scholarship for him a lot of other stuff has gone undone! :cry:
NE57

Post by NE57 »

I'm a ways off yet before I have to deal with the headers and steering box problem but if/when you get around to it, I would appreciate a pic of what you did.

In the meantime I'm drumming my fingers waiting for my block/crank to come back. Tum dee dum dum. Gives me time to think/plan.
silverbluecuda

Post by silverbluecuda »

I am in process of installing a legacy 392 Hemi in my Barracuda. I have a couple questions in mounting the engine as it was a race car previously and had a motor plate. I am currently using the stock K-frame with standard manual steering and brakes. Here are my questions: 1) If the stock K-Frame is used can you use the stock rear sump oil pan? Doesnt look like it will fit. Will it require surgery? (2) What motor mounts did you use? (3) Any info available about installing R&P steering on the K-Frame? Id love to get rid of the heavy old box. (4) Any words of wisdom on headers? I have the HH stub flanges and I have a set of A-body 426 Race headers I would be grafting them into. Any help would be greatly appreciated. John
George

Post by George »

1) If the stock K-Frame is used can you use the stock rear sump oil pan? The OEM pan for the 392 is center sump, someone could have changed it to rear using the 55-56 331/354 set up.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

B and E bodies need the center sump pan and you will likely need to notch the rear lip of the K-frame. Stock steering box clears.
The block is quite similar to the LA block so you can trial fit the install with LA engine brackets and adjust from there. Way back in the 80's we did many of similar swaps and always used the trans/mount as the fixed location. With the trans adapter the engine would then move forward by the thickness of the adapter and the mounts would usually need 'adjustment'.
www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com
Early Hemi Parts and Pieces,

INVENTORY CLEARANCE IN PROGRESS. See website for details.