?241" industrial?

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

TRENDZ

?241" industrial?

Post by TRENDZ »

I have a chance to buy a small hemi from a machine shop for the cost of the minor machine work that was done to it. It is claimed to be a 260" motor now that it has been bored. I'm guessing it started out as a 241. It comes with an aluminum timing cover and a magneto, custom boat headers, a roller cam, and an extra set of un worked heads.
I'm wondering if this engine has the strength to take some "heavy" turbocharging. What weakness should I watch out for? Would a factory crank take a good dose of boost? What head gaskets are available for this thing?
"use it till it breaks, replace as needed"
desotoman

Post by desotoman »

If it was a 241 it has been bored 1/8 th over already. You would need to have it sonic checked but I would guess the walls are getting pretty thin. Thin walls are not good for mega boost and heat created by mega boost. Crank is also a weak spot in those motors if you want to make mucho HP. Main caps would also be a consern. You will need to go to copper head gaskets with o-rings and receiver grooves. Then worry about water leaks. Sounds like an expensive project to me.
Good luck.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Get some casting numbers from the parts and post them, it could be lots of different engines with a custom made crank to keep the inches down.
Smallest Marine hemi was a 270 inch motor.
johnny5

Post by johnny5 »

This could be a Plymouth poly conversion.
George

Post by George »

Regardless, a low deck Dodge probably isn't the best candidate for "heavy" turbo or super charging.
TRENDZ

Post by TRENDZ »

I will find out more and post the results. I am very unfamiliar with all this old hemi stuff, I never knew there was anything smaller than a 331 before visiting this site, and I couldn't tell you the first thing about any of them prior to the 426.
Since I ran across this thing, I have been talking to people about it, and have been given "info" on where to find others. I confirmed one story about "a 426 hemi, just laying in a field." I went to check it out, (less than a mile from my house) and did find the engine, however it is not a 426. It is an older hemi with the valve covers missing, and it has an extended bell housing area. It is mounted to a frame that holds a big waterpump for watering what used to be a polo field. The owners of the land said I could take it, but I dont think there are much usefull parts left, as it has been open to the elements for what appears to be several years.
Are the early hemis all the same engine family? Is there any interchangeabilty between them? I really appreciate any help/ advice.
George

Post by George »

Bailiesdad wrote:Get some casting numbers from the parts and post them, it could be lots of different engines with a custom made crank to keep the inches down.
Smallest Marine hemi was a 270 inch motor.
There should be #s on a flat in front of the valley pan, & between the head & valley pan pass. side rear.
desotoman

Post by desotoman »

TRENDZ wrote: Are the early hemis all the same engine family? Is there any interchangeabilty between them? I really appreciate any help/ advice.
There are several books out on the market you could buy which would get you up to speed on the early hemi's. They are all different, and not much interchanges. Don't just buy something because it is a good price, you might be sorry down the line. Do your research first so you can make informed decisions.

Good luck. :)
TRENDZ

Post by TRENDZ »

the block has the following numbers:
D502-9928-2
A445-1-EX4
the heads casting# 828129 1
Do these make any sense?
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

The D502 indicates a 1954 241 Dodge motor. The heads 1828129 are from a 1957 315 Dodge.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
George

Post by George »

Good combo for a non blower motor. Might get Tex Smith's Hemi Book, though it is a little thin on Dodge.
TRENDZ

Post by TRENDZ »

What reasons would you guys cite for not being a good candidate for blower/ turbo application? ( I did read the reply about cyl walls possibly being to thin) What is the weak link in this engine? It does have steel billet caps on 1,2,3,4 mains, and it has a wierd looking roller lifter set up. The lifters have guide bushings/sleeves, and bolt in hold downs. There seems to be alot of odd parts with this thing.
I would think that with oversized head studs, good rods and pistons, and o ringed head gaskets, it would make a nice little powerplant.
The machine shop is "searching" for the crank, if they cant find it, this whole project is done, unless I can find another crank.
George

Post by George »

The crank is considered to be the weak spot on the low deck Dodges where you wre talking "heavy turbo".