tap tap tap

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

bull51

tap tap tap

Post by bull51 »

He, Im new to Dodge and own a Ram Quad Cab with a HEMI.
A few months ago I noticed a tapping when I started a cold engine. Tapping became more frequent and more noticable as time went on. Service rep said that was normal, but mechanic said that lifters were bleeding out and should be replaced. Srevice rep said lifters were going to bleed out depending on the position of the crank. Anyone else hearing same noise. My HEMI has only 2000 miles on it.
fast5800pdhemi

Post by fast5800pdhemi »

I have a new 2003 hemi qc 1500 4x4 and i live where it gets into the 0 digits and every now and then when i start it up ine the morning it may tap for a few seconds and quit but it has only done that twice and i have not noticed it for awhile now. My truck has 24000 miles on it
Auburn

Post by Auburn »

Tell me about the noise you hear. I have a fair amount of experience with the 5.7 engine noise. Is it a cold tap that only lasts a few seconds, or is it a hot tap that only comes when the engine is really warm, and at the lowest idle? Due to the lifter design, some tap is not unusual, however if it is a strong tap that can be heard above idle, it might be a soft lifter. If it is light in nature, I would not think twice about it. Since you have to remove the heads to replace the lifters, you could create more issues than you solve. Also be aware, there have been items that sound like a lifter, but are not. Examples might be a coil with an internal arc, a belt with a defect, and many others.
YoureAboutToFindOut

Noisy Motor

Post by YoureAboutToFindOut »

I've also noticed a bit of "clatter" from my '04 Ram. It doesn't sound like the valves are about to eject but is louder than I've experienced with previous Dodge engines. Am I safe in assuming that the Hemi has a slightly noisy valve train? (it's only got 700 miles on it!)
MG42pillbox

Re: Noisy Motor

Post by MG42pillbox »

YoureAboutToFindOut wrote:I've also noticed a bit of "clatter" from my '04 Ram. It doesn't sound like the valves are about to eject but is louder than I've experienced with previous Dodge engines. Am I safe in assuming that the Hemi has a slightly noisy valve train? (it's only got 700 miles on it!)
I noticed that too on many new Hemis at my dealer. I am told with a few K it goes away.
One whose life is Infecting others with Falsehood, shall fall greater than any of their Victims.
OJSHEMI

Post by OJSHEMI »

Got the same problem, tap at idle. Ive had it for 30000 km now has not got louder or quiterer for that mater.
MG42pillbox

Post by MG42pillbox »

OJSHEMI wrote:Got the same problem, tap at idle. Ive had it for 30000 km now has not got louder or quiterer for that mater.
weird...... :-?
One whose life is Infecting others with Falsehood, shall fall greater than any of their Victims.
crash

Post by crash »

maybe timing?
same thing happened to my bro's car and it was cus the timing was off
cbxlr8r

Tap Tap Tap

Post by cbxlr8r »

Hello everyone...this is my first post in this forum.

I have a tapping sound coming from my 5.7 as well. It is however not the lifters. The constant tapping is from the fuel injectors. There is a distinct difference in the tapping sound of both. Some will notice a tapping for a few seconds after startup when the engine is cold...this goes away when oil pressure increases.

The fuel injection systems of many cars make this clacking / tapping sound. I had an 88 RX-7 that made this sound...albeit softer...and that car had a Rotary Engine which has no valve train at all.

Just my 2 cents worth...but after 20 years of owning more than 15 vehicles, I have grown to discern the difference between these sounds.
bunn man

tap tap tap

Post by bunn man »

My question to you is,what type of oil filter are you using.If you are not using an OEM or Puralator,it probably does not have a ant-drain back valve.With out this valve,the oil will leak back out of your filter and into the pan over night.When the engine is first started in the morning,the tapping noise will be there for a few seconds until the oil system is full.Also,one tapping,or ticking noise when the vehicle is running could be the evap purge solinoid.Try to determine where in the engine compartment the noise is coming from and let us know.
MG42pillbox

Re: tap tap tap

Post by MG42pillbox »

bunn man wrote:My question to you is,what type of oil filter are you using.If you are not using an OEM or Puralator,it probably does not have a ant-drain back valve.With out this valve,the oil will leak back out of your filter and into the pan over night.When the engine is first started in the morning,the tapping noise will be there for a few seconds until the oil system is full.Also,one tapping,or ticking noise when the vehicle is running could be the evap purge solinoid.Try to determine where in the engine compartment the noise is coming from and let us know.
also known as "Framinated" :o
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

Since the filter is oriented with the openings pointing straight up, how can anything leak out of it?