3rd Gen HEMI projects and products.

Moderator: scottm

scottm

From 1970 AAR 'Cuda Clone to 392 HEMI RestoMod

Post by scottm »

Image Image Image Image

1970 Plymouth Barracuda goes from AAR ’Cuda Clone to 392 Hemi Restomod
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1970-pl ... -restomod/
If you're a Mopar fanatic who can't stand to see a 1970 Barracuda "hacked up" with non-stock parts, look away now. Better yet, check out the Readers' Rides feature we did on a restored 1970 Challenger T/A instead. For those of you who don't get queasy seeing modern parts on classic Mopars, this Gen III 392 Hemi-powered 1970 Plymouth Barracuda is just for you.

Dan Frazzini from Aurora, Colorado, picked up this particular Barracuda back in 2013. As the story goes, its original owner just finished restoring the car and turning it into an AAR 'Cuda clone before tragically passing away. His wife decided to let the car go, trading it in for a new Ford Edge at a dealer. Dan happened to be in contact with the sales manager at the dealer and ended up trading his 1971 Challenger to get the 1970 Plymouth Barracuda.

Dan wasn't totally into the AAR clone thing, so he decided to put his own spin on it, telling us, "Since it was originally a 318 Barracuda, I wanted to have some fun with it, so I went with a restomod theme." He started by upgrading the brakes to Wilwood hydraulic discs and ditching the stock-style suspension with a full Hotchkis system, topping it all off with a set of 18-inch wheels.

Under the hood is where it really gets fun, though. "I then went one step further by swapping the 340 for a new Gen III 392 Hemi," Dan said. At the time, he also upgraded the 727 transmission to a manual valve body, but it just wasn't good enough. He then went to Jamie Passon of Passon Performance for a fully built 833 OD transmission with a custom synchro setup.

In the end, the build turned out to be a complete success. "This car has a great combination of classic Mopar muscle with just the right amount of modern performance to make it a fun car to drive anywhere," Dan said.

Dan Frazzini's 1970 Plymouth Barracuda at a glance:

Gen III 392 Hemi
833 overdrive transmission built by Passon Performance
B5 Blue with pearl and AAR strobe
Fiberglass front spoiler, rear spoiler, and hood
Legendary Auto Interiors black interior
Hotchkis suspension
Wilwood hydraulic disc brakes and master cylinder
Boom Tube side-exit exhaust
US Mag wheels, 18x8-inch front and 19x9.5-inch rear
Hankook Vantus V12 tires, 245/45R18 and 275/40R18
Pioneer Bluetooth head unit with Hifonics amplifier and Kicker subwoofer
More Photos: http://www.thehemi.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=18246

This is a really sweet 'Cuda! Nothing wrong with an AAR clone with a Gen III HEMI. 8)

#Plymouth #Barracuda #Cuda #PlymouthCuda #AAR #AARCuda #392HEMI #HEMI #Clone
scottm

Re: From 1970 AAR 'Cuda Clone to 392 HEMI RestoMod

Post by scottm »

This 'Cuda is currently for sale on BaT: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=5708

I posted a bunch of photos on my gallery. I think this 'Cuda is really slick!