Does anyone have more information?

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

scottm

Does anyone have more information?

Post by scottm »

The available information on the Marine and Industrial
Hemis on the web is pretty minimal. Does anyone have
some additional information on them? I would love to
be able to plug in some more stats on those motors.
scottm

Post by scottm »

I have added 1950s Marine Hemi Engines to
the Notable Hemis page. Check it out now.

http://www.thehemi.com/notable.php?id=008

As always, I am still gathering more information.
If you have anything to share, let me know!
Gregg Dearth

Chrysler Marine Hemi Info

Post by Gregg Dearth »

I am just a few weeks away from completing a long and expensive restoration of Chrsler M45SP3 dual quad engine. When I get it and the 1956 Century Coronado its going in back, I'll try to pull some pictures and give you as much info as I can. :D
Dual quad M45sp3 in a 1956 Century Coronado
Bailiesdad

Small Chrysler Marine hemi

Post by Bailiesdad »

I have a completed, modified M45SP3 that is going back in the only Chris Craft Capri ever built with a 275 Hp hemi. I made a few modifications, 5/8 inch stroker crank, titanium rods, weisco 10.5:1 pistons, Cam with 505 lift IE, manton push rods, 55 heads ported and polished with SS 2. and 1.75 valves running Comp Cams srings retainers and keepers, covered up by origional Moneyham and Sharpe valve covers..... It is fired by Vertex magneto driven by a Hilborn tack mounted drive and fuel is through Hilborn stack unit with full air cleaner system. All the pumbing is Aeroquip, exhaust is by Gil marine. Nice little 430 inch motor. I have done just about everything on or to these marine engines and have plenty of spare parts. These engines are NOT cheap...... I would love to run that Century and show it the transom.......
XXLCH

Marine Hemi Distributor Rotation

Post by XXLCH »

According to Chrysler Service/Maintenance Manual I'm reading for M45 S Chrysler Imperial Marine Engine (331 w/2-1 barrels), the distributors for both Right (normal) and Left (opposite rotation) engines rotate in the same direction (clockwise looking down at dist) but the firing orders are different.
Right engine firing order is 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Left engine firing order is 1-8-7-2-4-3-6-5

I checked these numbers a few times.
xxlch
Bailiesdad

Re: Marine Hemi Distributor Rotation

Post by Bailiesdad »

xxlch wrote:According to Chrysler Service/Maintenance Manual I'm reading for M45 S Chrysler Imperial Marine Engine (331 w/2-1 barrels), the distributors for both Right (normal) and Left (opposite rotation) engines rotate in the same direction (clockwise looking down at dist) but the firing orders are different.
Right engine firing order is 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Left engine firing order is 1-8-7-2-4-3-6-5

I checked these numbers a few times.
lay the 2 cams side by side you will see the difference in the gears.
XXLCH

Marine Hemi part number difference/rotation info

Post by XXLCH »

Generator and starter for left and right engines are different part numbers. Probably no surprise, but the distributors rotate in the same direction in left and right engines. Don't know about dist part number.

No belts anywhere, all accessories gear drive, cam included.

Bailiesdad says you can lay the cams next to each other and see difference.

Since cam drives oil pump, and dist engages gear on oil pump drive, there must be a helical gear on the cam cut in different directions.
So everything but the distributors and oil pumps rotate in different directions for left and right engines.

On page 157 of the Chrysler Maintenance Manual for a M45 S Marine Engine the figure title states Fig. 38--Firing Order (Left Hand Rotation) and shows the 1-8-7-2-4-3-6-5 firing order.

The figure above it shows same distributor rotation direction but the figure title reads Fig. 37--Firing Order (Right Hand Rotation) and shows the 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8 firing order.

Just found out from 392Heminut that neither of these firing orders is same as car!!!
Last edited by XXLCH on Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xxlch
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Automotive firing order on the hemi is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

JUst bought a pair of marine 331 hemi engines. They were partially assembled. I will give updates on the similarities/ differences as I take them back apart for cleaning and reassembly. I have gotten the cams out of both because my curiosity would not let me wait until next week . They are ground totally different. One Does have the gears for the dist/olipump drive opposite from the other. I laid both next to a 392 cam and the one with the standard gear cut looks like all the cam peaks are almost identical to the 392. the opposite cut gear cam is totally different. I am going to put a degree wheel on each one and give the peak degree #s for each lobe and hopefully be able to determine the firing orders. One othe thing tat seemed different was the two holes by the front cam seem to have recesses cut for perhaps o-rings to go under the cam retainer to make a total seal . Pictures of all this will be coming up if ythe forum will allow them to be posted. Thinking of a way to plug the large hole in the center of the head where water normally passes through. Also a method of doing the same thing to the lower openings on industrial engines. Got a nice idea for a driver to get the gear drive shaft bushing out without tearing the block to pieces. Anyone interested give me a shout. After this EVALUATION process I will have two really sweet 331 hemi motors to sell. And you can watch the total buildup right here. I also bid on and won all 12 issues of the '96 street rod that had the hemi buildup series. Let me know if you want 1,some, or all of the copies of the issues. Will be about $5.00 for 1 $4.00 each for 2 $3.00 each for 3 and $2.00 each for 4 or more series. . I do not know how many pages will be involved but I think that price should cover printing, postage and supplies.
'48 anglia
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Bud, I would be interested in copies of all the articles. How much are we talking about?
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
budmspeeco

copies of the street rod hemi series

Post by budmspeeco »

I am going to cut the pages out of the books with a razor. As you know some columns only take half or less of the page with the other side filled with advertising. I am cutting, clipping and taping to cut the wasted space down. I think I can copy and mail the entire series for about $5.00 . I thought of doing it on my copier but it will be easier at Kinkos or Office Depot. Email if you are interested. I have gotten several excellent ideas and tips from these articles, especially the one about cutting 351-C valves to fit a hemi. I just happened to have a new (expensive) set of them from a rebuild that did not get finished. I had thought of selling the valves on ebay. Glad I didn't .. Buddy :lol:
'48 anglia
budmspeeco

marine cams and other things different about these engines

Post by budmspeeco »

I was going to knock the cam bearings and freeze plugs out of one of the marine motors to clean and rehone it with a blockplate. I pushed the long screw driver through the oil outlet hole on top of the rear of the block to drive the oil pressure bypass out. It would not go through far enough so I looked on the bottom of the rear main parting line at the hole where there is normally a check ball/spring doo-dad. The hole was about 3/4 inch deep and was plugged with a solid piece of steel just below the intersecting oil hole that goes to the filter. I looked and the other block was the same way. These engines were rebuilt 20+ years ago & never started. Does anyone know if that is the way marine blocks are supposed to be done? I have seen the little aluminum piece sold by Hot Heads & others to eliminate the ball/spring but this is actually my first buildup. Mostly been build-downs before now, if you know what I mean. And the cams and gears to drive the oil pumps are different, if anyone wants pictures. I laid the one with the "normal" gear next to a 392 cam and the lobe profiles were not the same on all cylinders, just some. The new trick in pro stock is to change the firing order to make a few more H.P.. Maybe Chrysler Marine beat them to the punch. I am using the "normal" cam to start in the engine to start it on a stand I am building. More info as it unfolds in the mystery of the missing "DOO-DAD" At least I can still drive out the old bushing under the oil shaft gear with that new invention that just became available to the hemi public through the power of ebay. a SMALL DRIVER TO DROP UNDER THE BUSHING AND JUST DRIVE IT OUT. eeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEMAIL FOR A PIC.. THIS IS ALL BUDDY
'48 anglia