5,7 Hemi MSD 6hemi controller problem

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

chargoholic

5,7 Hemi MSD 6hemi controller problem

Post by chargoholic »

Hi guys!

I got a problem, I made a engine swap in my charger 68 http://www.garaget.org/?car=134709
and got rid of the injection to go carb instead and I used the XV motorsports carb kit to do it.

In the kit I got the Msd 6hemi controller to handle the sparks, but it runs rough and weak.
I guess I got an controller thats not been programmed at XV as they said they`ll do.

Now to the problem, I cant change the timing..
I can change the timing in the RPM timing curve file and send it to the Msd but it just dont get it...

I got the min-max timing set to 12-35 degrees cause thats my only way to get the engine to run with somewhat "good" timing.
The map advance curve is stock and this are the rest of the settings.

MAP sensor select- 1-bar
Timing source-built in
Oem timingmod-0 degrees
Idle timingcontroll-ON
Wastesparkoption-OFF

I got full timing(35deg) at 1900rpm
and thats gonna be wrong with the stock timingcurve from MSD..

Thanks for any help!!

Regards Axelchargoholic

E-mail chargoholic
chargoholic

Re: 5,7 Hemi MSD 6hemi controller problem

Post by chargoholic »

Hi again! (he said to none)

I`ve found that I can change the timing now but now the MAPsensor curve`s the problem...

I dont know what curve to set, it still runs rough.

I got an PSIa at 7PSIa at idle, is that ok????

Any ideas?????

// Chargoholic
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Good luck! I haven't been able to get a response from anyone on any of the boards in regards to the timing on these new hemis or the use of the MSD HEMI-6 control box. I've even sent PM's to certain people who have been working on these engines and gotten no response. It's like the timing info on these engines is a national secret or something! :roll: I suggest you call MSD's tech line about your problems with the controller and see if they can help.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
chargoholic

Post by chargoholic »

Ok,so how did you do with yours???

// Axl
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

I plugged mine in and have been running it with MSD's map. It runs good, but at only 25 degrees total advance I'm sure there's more in it. I don't even own a laptop, and have to borrow my son's to do any tweaking. Since I can't get anyone to admit to doing any experimenting on the timing and finding what these engines seem to like, I'm waiting for a chance to go to my local track on a test & tune day when I can get my son's laptop and go from there.
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

We've been dyno testing a few of our engines finally. We broke down and bought an AEM standalone for the dyno sessions. 21 degrees of timing is where we seen the most tq and hp. We tried everthing from 18 to 27 and at 27*'s we heard a slight tickle so we started backing off the timing. Egt's on all 8 clyinders were within 5 degrees all the way to 6500 rpm. Something our dyno operator never seen before. He was impressed.
392 Blown Hemi
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

So your engines are running best at only 21 degrees of total mechanical timing? What is your initial timing setting? My MSD has 10 degrees initial timing right now.
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

Initial timing is 10 degrees at idle.
392 Blown Hemi
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

That's really interesting! The chambers on these new hemi heads must be extremely efficient! Thanks for your feedback, I really do appreciate it.
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

No problem, anytime. I don't visit this site as much as I should, sorry, but if you have any questions about these new school Hemi's? Give us a call at the shop and ask for Denny. 651-426-0061
392 Blown Hemi
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Thanks! It's good to finally have access to someone who has some experience with the new hemis!