426 Marine Hemi

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

scottm

426 Marine Hemi

Post by scottm »

Does anyone have info on possible marine 426 Hemis?
I am told that Navy had some 426s for possible use in
high speed boats (maybe they were "marine"). Did the
Chrysler Industrial Marine Division build marine 426s?
I read that CIMD did produce some 426 race Hemis.
MoparMarcIdaho

Post by MoparMarcIdaho »

The owners manual for my 68 cabin cruiser shows a 426 with dual quads as an option,mine has a 318 though.So I know they did them. :)
mart

Re: 426 Marine Hemi

Post by mart »

There's probably a bit of confusion because the 426 Hemis were built by Chryslers 'Marine and Industrial engine division', but there were no actual OEM 426 'marine' hemis. Of course anybody with the bucks and the desire could buy either a 426 street or race hemi over the counter and instal it themselves in a boat. A (very)few aftermarket companies did make custom marine exhaust manifolds for such a conversion, but no boat manufacturer offered an actual 426 hemi in a production boat and Chrysler did not offer marine parts for these engines or sell it as such. As far as the owners manual for your 318 powered boat showing an optional 'dual quad 426 engine' as being available, this was not a 426 hemi. It was a 426W - wedge head engine. These 426W marine engines were fairly common is some ski-boats, runabouts and daycruisers - (particularly in Centurys' to name one user) and came with either single and dual quad, low rise, cast iron intakes. The dual quad marine intake is basically the same inline cast iron intake that was optional on some non-cross-ram equipted 413 and 426 Chryler passenger cars .

mart