Page 1 of 1

what can i do to beef up a 331 industrial engine

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:10 pm
by moparbob
Im new also to the group.
I bought a 331 industrial engine at a auction last weekend,and would like to build it up and put it in my 75 duster.
my question is, can the engine be built up with a bigger cam and bored out . Where does a guy find new pistons and parts for one a 331?
Im looking forward to building this engine, just dont know a thing about 331's or where to look for parts and how much to build up for the street and an occasional drive down the strip.
Im a mopar guy and will always be!!!!
thanks for your help.

70 dart swinger 340
71 demon 360
75 duster slant 6
71 duster 340 drag car
56 desoto 331 (just bought it today) 8 16 07

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:59 pm
by George
Parts from Get a copy of Tex Smith's Hemi Book by Ron Ceradono from HH or You can get a 354 cam, front cover from a 51-54 car engine will work. If it passes sonic check overbore up to 354 standard is possible. Is it an extended bell type?

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:09 pm
by moparbob
Im not sure where to look to see what it is.
The engine did have a hand clutch on was used for and irrigation engine here in oklahoma,so it does have a clutch plate and the like.
thanks for the help so far and if you would tell me what to look for I will.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:40 am
by George
If an extended bell there should be a tag/plate at the rear, or thee may be a code stamped on a flat in front of the valley cover. There is a casting # on the pass. side rear between the valley cover & head, but is difficult to read if intake is on.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:43 pm
by moparbob
there is a plate on the drivers side rear of the engine that says chrysler industrial an a model # ind 56 . it is on a lip that sticks out about 2 inches from the rear, so that would be an extended?
sorry to sound so dumb about this, but all ive ever done was 340s and (sorry) 327's.
thanks for your help.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:43 am
by George
The extended bell type have a very noticable extension across the top part, like a Ford Flathead.