Ind 56A

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

~Monster~

Ind 56A

Post by ~Monster~ »

I just picked up this old industrial block, and I am trying to gather more info about it...I know it is 354ci displacement, and it is a hemi, not a poly head motor...Does anyone have any other information about this particular block? I am also trying to find out if regular Hemi parts are interchangeable with this block...Thanks in advance...

~Monster~
George

Post by George »

The usual commemts the '51-'4 front cover has less clutter than the ind covers. Generaly recommended to replace the cam w an automotive one. If it's block only go ahead & get auto heads & intake.
4xNut

Post by 4xNut »

Like George said, the Timing set cover/water pump area is the only real catch.

Hot Heads has a front cover that blocks the lower water passages, and allows you to mount a SB chevy pump. Alternately, a Chrysler LA timing cover (318/340/360) can be adapted to fit (lots of work though).

Watch out for the Crankshaft. it may not have the step cut into it where the timing gear sits (i'm assuming your cam is gear-driven) In this case a regular timing set will not fit on your crank. you'll have to source a car/truck 301/331/354 crank

rods/pistons are same as car/truck motors.

if you have the cylinder heads, they most likely do not have an Exhaust crossover port to heat the intake manifold, and are fitted with the large stem, sodium-filled exhaust valves; pretty impractical for street use.

so yes, the block is useable........... with a little work 8)
'56 354 Hemi
'55 270 Super Red Ram
301 Marine/Industrial Hemi
johnny5

?

Post by johnny5 »

Isn't an IND56A basically a 1956 automotive 354?
Bailiesdad

Re: ?

Post by Bailiesdad »

johnny5 wrote:Isn't an IND56A basically a 1956 automotive 354?

many minor differences. plus carbs,valve train, and cams were for steady long runtime low rpm operation.

(The marine cranks do not have the step for the car timing gears.)

Look to get the timing cover situtation figured out first, early stuff works fine. Use all other automotive parts from 331-354s.

If you got the heads I believe a 54 4 bbl manifold with water crossover, built in, would work with the ind heads. The sodium filled ex valves work fine.