Chrysler Industrial Hemi

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Ckretintimidator

Chrysler Industrial Hemi

Post by Ckretintimidator »

Gentlemen,
I have a friend who has a Chrysler Industrial Hemi in his barn. He bought it to use to run a sawmill, but the city will not let him do it on his land. He's offered to give me the engine, so I'm wondering if it's worth taking and messing with.
He said that it was supposed to be a runner when he bought it, and he's sure it will with some new plugs, clean the carb and that sort of stuff. It's on an engine stand/mount with radiator, wiring(which is sorta trashed) and all that.
I'm going to look at it again and see what numbers I can find to ID it and all that.
What do you guys think?

Regards,
Josh Winter
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Naw, that engine's worthless. Tell me where it is and I'll get it out of his way! :D

Actually, if he's giving it to you, take it and run. The industrial engines are just as good as the automotive ones.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
krooser

industrial hemi

Post by krooser »

Let me save you a lot of frustration..I'll pick it up and take it to the scrap yard for you...that way you won't get your hands dirty!
China...Great Food...Crappy Tools
Ckretintimidator

Does anyone want it?

Would anyone be interested in purchasing the whole thing from me? I have one guy who would like to buy some parts off of it, but I'd really like to sell it whole.
It is a 354.

Josh
Ckretintimidator

What the hick is it?

I've got the Hemi here with me at school till 1 or so, so if you have any questions about it I can go out and look at it or whatever.
I've looked behind the water pump on the block and there is not any numbers there at all, unless they are back under the intake/valley pan or whatever. There is an ID plate bolted to the bellhousing thing, which I'm not sure if it's removable anymore like I thought it was.
The ID plate reads like this.

Chrysler Inustrial Engine
model type serial
56A 1197-1 279923
Part # (blank)

Chrlysler Corporation, Idustrial Division
Detroit, Michigan, USA

What the heck is this thing?

JW
Ckretintimidator

Found it

I found an application chart on hemisunlimited.com that said the "56A" was a 354.
TrWaters

ID

Post by TrWaters »

56A is a 354. wish you were closer, I would be interested in it complete. But being an industrial, it would not be worth the cost of shipping the whole engine.
scottm

Re: Found it

Post by scottm »

Ckretintimidator wrote:I found an application chart on hemisunlimited.com that said the "56A" was a 354.
Hey now, TheHemi.com lists 56A as a 354, too! :P

http://www.thehemi.com/engines.php?id=IND56A

Kind of lacking any real engine details, though.