Is the aggravation worth it???

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

A.P.House

Is the aggravation worth it???

Post by A.P.House »

Hello,
First, may I say I’m a total newbe when it comes to Hemi engines. Except when I was loosing to them in my 442 when I was a teen.
My query is: A former neighbor of mine owns a 56/57 DeSoto. (She can’t remember for sure, she bought it new) The DeSoto is located in Suburban Phila.,Pa. I live in the mountains of Maine. Her garage came crashing down 18 yrs ago on top of the DeSoto, with the center beam of the garage (a 12â€
George

Post by George »

Depends on what your time is worth. It might be stuck, might not. It might have froze & cracked in the winter. I'd check it out. if it isn't cracked @ the freeze plugs, I'd snag it. If it's stuck it will be a pain to get the tranny off. If it's a poly it can be converted to Hemi using Dodge parts ( complete head assymbly & pistons). There are probably guys who will tow it off for free. Pull the engine/tranny & haul it home!
johnny5

Post by johnny5 »

It's really up to you. Chevy engines are cheap and reliable. Not a bad choice if that's what you want. As with most cheap things, they're painfully boring. I walk right past any rod or custom with anything that looks like a small block bowtie. Hemi engines are also reliable and make way more power/cid. They have a mystique that most other don't. I'm sticking one in my 1950 Plymouth business coupe because of that very reason. I'd rather stick with the old flat 6 and soup it up than put a 350 in it. It wouldn't make much power but it would make up for that in style.

As far as what it would take to get this particular one, I'd flag down a garbage truck, yank it out of the wrecked building, call a tow truck to come over and lift the motor out when you're ready to pull it and leave the rest of the mess behind. Whoever owns this thing now doesn't seem to care too much about it either way. Not your problem. She's gonna have to get the rest of it cleaned up when you're done anyway.
desotoman

Post by desotoman »

If it is going to take all the time, effort and money you say, honestly why bother. You don't really know what shape the motor will be in when you get it out of the car, and you could have spent all of your time and money for nothing. It is a crap shoot.

I once bought a running desoto motor out of a 56 ford pickup. I heard it run, and it seemed to be fine. Well 5 years later I took it apart only to fine the block was cracked in a spot where it could not be repaired. The lower front head bolt thread was cracked and when I pryed on it alittle it broke the corner of the block off completely.

I suggest if you want a hemi motor, use you time and money to buy one from someone who knows what they have and are willing to pull the motor apart and show you. I have pulled many desoto motors apart over the last 25 years, some are good and some I load on the truck for the trip to the scrap yard. I learned the hard way and now I will not buy a motor unless I am able to pull the heads off and take a look to see if water or anything else has got in them. I hope this helps with your decision.
speedicusmaximus

Post by speedicusmaximus »

Hi,
It's free and complete - What can you lose ?!
Mike
Beep ! Beep !
desotoman

Post by desotoman »

Mike,
It sounds like he can lose the following: Just getting the DeSoto out of there would entail 5days of my time (10hr drive time each way)that kills 2 days. Renting a front end loader to take the beams off and pull the car out of there. Pulling the car apart (probably need to rent a cherry picker, a torch, and hire a couple locals to help). Salvaging things use able. Engine, trans, linkage, rear and axils, Power Steering etc., etc. Getting the rest of the car to the scrap yard (means renting a truck)
I don't know about you but sometimes it is better to pay for something than get it for free. Especially if it will cost you money to find out if it is any good. To me it sounds like he will spend $1000 and 5 days of his time. I would rather spend $1000 on a good motor around my corner. But hey that is just my opinion.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

desotoman wrote:Mike,
It sounds like he can lose the following: Just getting the DeSoto out of there would entail 5days of my time (10hr drive time each way)that kills 2 days. Renting a front end loader to take the beams off and pull the car out of there. Pulling the car apart (probably need to rent a cherry picker, a torch, and hire a couple locals to help). Salvaging things use able. Engine, trans, linkage, rear and axils, Power Steering etc., etc. Getting the rest of the car to the scrap yard (means renting a truck)
I don't know about you but sometimes it is better to pay for something than get it for free. Especially if it will cost you money to find out if it is any good. To me it sounds like he will spend $1000 and 5 days of his time. I would rather spend $1000 on a good motor around my corner. But hey that is just my opinion.
This makes way too much common sense :D :D :D :D
johnny5

Post by johnny5 »

Bailiesdad wrote:
That sounds funny coming from you :lol:
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Hang around, you might learn a few things.
johnny5 wrote:
Bailiesdad wrote:
Hannah1935

Post by Hannah1935 »

:o Hello...Open your eyes..If you can get the engine and the 1939 to your garage for $1000..I would do it..Like others said..check to see if the engine is frozen or not..Call the local town repairman and pay him some $$$$ to check it for you..
Now the big questionis..do you want to spend the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ getting the engine up and running..
This takes thinking not feelings..
Hello..I have a 1935 Tudor Ford Slant back Sedan...My hobbies are Stromberg 97s and intakes manifolds..
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

":D Hello...Open your eyes.." Good advise....
"This takes thinking not feelings.." more great advise

where did the 1939 come from? :oops:
johnny5

Post by johnny5 »

Bailiesdad wrote:Hang around, you might learn a few things.
johnny5 wrote:
Bailiesdad wrote: This makes way too much common sense :D :D :D :D
Likewise :wink:
johnny5

Post by johnny5 »

I hate to sound cold, but you might want to wait around and check on the estate in a year or so. You may be able to get it for free whe the cleanup crew comes in :evil:
Hannah1935

Desoto Hemi

Post by Hannah1935 »

OOPS..made a mistake..first one in a week..1938 Ford..
Dreaming is not reality.. :o
Hello..I have a 1935 Tudor Ford Slant back Sedan...My hobbies are Stromberg 97s and intakes manifolds..
LordMaximo

The Desoto

Post by LordMaximo »

You know it all is worth every bit of time spent. First off, the Desoto can generate more then $1000.00 in parts for others across the country. If I was your neighbor, or better yet, someone who lived close to this womans home, I would not wait for you to make up your mind of being so iffy! There are several persons here in the states who are in need of parts, and you have this given to you for FREE. Get a gripp, free is free, and cash in the pocket.
As far as the hemi is concerned, any early, first generation hemi is worth its wieght in gold. They do not make these relics any more.
Sure you can scarf a new one out of a yard somewhere, but it is not the old iron. And yes every hemi will be a small fortune to build, SO WHAT! You have a hemi and others do not! A hemi in any of your rides, especially an old one, is a status quoe. If you want HP, go buy a crate engine from Roush Racing, they will sell you a turn key engine pulling 1000HP for $15K. Or any crate engine for that sake, all will cost you $7500.00 for a ball busting 650HP.

The FREE HEMI is worth the time to look at and check over. The car is a money maker in your pocket, FREE! Get the Ford and get the Desoto. The Desoto will fuel the restoration project on the Ford. Only makes sence.

Logical actions make money and save time. And I know there are more then 100 people who would love to snag up that Desoto in a heart beat.

Maximo
'34 Ford Truck Roadster
'54 Desoto 276 CI Hemi
desotoman

Post by desotoman »

:)