Obama's Proposal is the Illusion of 'Reform'

Down and dirty debates (well, yeah, politics).
scottm

Post by scottm »

This editorial is so good, I'm going to quote the whole thing...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... eform.html
One job of presidents is to educate Americans about crucial national problems. On health care, Barack Obama has failed. Almost everything you think you know about health care is probably wrong or, at least, half wrong. Great simplicities and distortions have been peddled in the name of achieving "universal health coverage." The miseducation has worsened as the debate approaches its climax.

There's a parallel here: housing. Most Americans favor homeownership, but uncritical pro-homeownership policies (lax lending standards, puny down payments, hefty housing subsidies) helped cause the financial crisis. The same thing is happening with health care. The appeal of universal insurance -- who, by the way, wants to be uninsured? -- justifies half-truths and dubious policies. That the process is repeating itself suggests that our political leaders don't learn even from proximate calamities.

How often, for example, have you heard the emergency-room argument? The uninsured, it's said, use emergency rooms for primary care. That's expensive and ineffective. Once they're insured, they'll have regular doctors. Care will improve; costs will decline. Everyone wins. Great argument. Unfortunately, it's untrue.

A study by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation found that the insured accounted for 83 percent of emergency room visits, reflecting their share of the population. After Massachusetts adopted universal insurance, emergency room use remained higher than the national average, reports an Urban Institute study. More than two-fifths of visits represented non-emergencies. Adult respondents to a survey said it was "more convenient" to go to the emergency room or they couldn't "get (a doctor's) appointment as soon as needed." If universal coverage makes appointments harder to get, emergency room use may increase.

You probably think that insuring the uninsured will dramatically improve the nation's health. The uninsured don't get care or don't get it soon enough. With insurance, they won't be shortchanged; they'll be healthier. Simple.

Think again. I've written before that expanding health insurance would result, at best, in modest health gains. Studies of insurance's effects on health are hard to perform. Some find benefits; others don't. Medicare's introduction in 1966 produced no reduction in mortality; some studies of extensions of Medicaid for children didn't find gains. Economics writer Megan McArdle of The Atlantic examined the literature and emerged skeptical. Claims that the uninsured suffer tens of thousands of premature deaths are "open to question." Conceivably, the "lack of health insurance has no more impact on your health than lack of flood insurance," she writes.

How could this be? No one knows, but possible explanations include: (a) many uninsured are fairly healthy -- about two-fifths are between 18 and 34; (b) some are too sick to be helped or have problems rooted in personal behaviors -- smoking, diet, drinking or drug abuse; and (c) the uninsured already receive about 50 percent to 70 percent of the care of the insured from hospitals, clinics and doctors, estimates the Congressional Budget Office.

Though it seems compelling, covering the uninsured is not the health care system's major problem. The big problem is uncontrolled spending, which prices people out of the market and burdens government budgets. Obama claims his proposal checks spending. Just the opposite. When people get insurance, they use more health services. Spending rises. By the government's latest forecast, health spending goes from 17 percent of the economy in 2009 to 19 percent in 2019. Health "reform" would likely increase that.

Unless we change the fee-for-service system, costs will remain hard to control because providers are paid more for doing more. Obama might have attempted that by proposing health care vouchers (limited amounts to be spent on insurance), which would force a restructuring of delivery systems to compete on quality and cost. Doctors, hospitals and drug companies would have to reorganize care. Obama refrained from that fight and instead cast insurance companies as the villains.

He's telling people what they want to hear, not what they need to know. Whatever their sins, insurers are mainly intermediaries; they pass along the costs of the delivery system. In 2009, the largest 14 insurers had profits of roughly $9 billion; that approached 0.4 percent of total health spending of $2.472 trillion. This hardly explains high health costs. What people need to know is that Obama's plan evades health care's major problems and would worsen the budget outlook. It's a big new spending program when government hasn't paid for the spending programs it already has.

"If not now, when? If not us, who?" Obama asks. The answer is: It's not now, and it's not "us." Pass or not, Obama's proposal is the illusion of "reform," not the real thing.
polyspheric

Re: Obama's Proposal is the Illusion of 'Reform'

Post by polyspheric »

I'll defer to a former Presidential candidate.

Q1: "What should we do about X?"
A1: "We can't do anything - we have no money."

Q2: "But, what about Y?"
A2: "Not possible, there is no money."

Q3: "Surely, the Z crisis demands a solution?"
A3: "Perhaps, but there is still no money."

Q4: "Solution S saves trillions compared to Solution T."
Q5: "But they both cost money."

Q5: "We could A, B, C, D and E."
A5: "You're not listening: we have less than no money. We have negative money. Money - no. We cannot buy something without money, and there is no one to borrow it from that we can trust, and no one to pay it back if we could. If we had $10 trillion (and we never will), we still could not pay off the national debt."
polyspheric

Post by polyspheric »

It is amusing, in a macabre sort of way, that Congress insists on fusing the terms "health care", and "insurance", which are completely different.

"Health care" is, in itself, largely a fictional term, because it is no longer limited to people, institutions, devices and substances that save lives or improve conditions (i.e., that actually do something).
It also includes the vast, ever-increasing faceless and unaccountable bureaucracy that decides its billing rate, runs its ads (in New York, we have an ad that claims that their hospital cures cancer - and the Attorney General hasn't noticed it, because he's running for Governor and needs their "campaign contribution"), does its taxes and payroll, sues non-paying patients, lobbies Congress and state legislatures (the cost of providing whores and cocaine for Senators to get them to vote for your bill is also "health care"), rushes to sites of media frenzy to "counsel" (such as school shootings, where they make even people who weren't there and knew nothing about it depressed and nervous).
These people produce nothing but paper and numbers, but their salaries are a large part of the reason for the enormous cost of care.

"Insurance" is a plan whereby you invest a modest sum against the possibility that you may (not shall or will) suffer injury or illness at a future date. You are, in effect, betting that you will be sick, and the insurance company is betting you won't.
If you're right, they pay for it with premiums from other policies.
If you're wrong, they use your premium to pay other claims.

"Insurance coverage for pre-existing conditions" does not exist. If you're already sick, it's not insurance - it's just health care.
Coverage for a pre-existing condition, if legal, would also allow me to wait until after my car was stolen, or after my house burned down, before buying a policy.
The same logic would also allow me to bet on a horse that already won yesterday's race.
scottm

Post by scottm »

polyspheric wrote:"Insurance coverage for pre-existing conditions" does not exist. If you're already sick, it's not insurance - it's just health care. Coverage for a pre-existing condition, if legal, would also allow me to wait until after my car was stolen, or after my house burned down, before buying a policy.
I never even thought about it in that way -- you are absolutely correct.
scottm

Post by scottm »

I wonder what's going to happen to the health insurance industry?
Once they cannot deny people with pre-existing conditions and the
lifetime caps are removed, they are going to start bleeding money.
When they start going under, who's going to save us? The Feds will
certainly swoop in and be forced to provide us with govt coverage.

"Insurance reform" transforms over time into "govt run health care".

Wonderful... :-?