Dept of Homeland Security warns of radicals on right

Down and dirty debates (well, yeah, politics).
scottm

Post by scottm »

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... -on-right/
The Department of Homeland Security is warning law enforcement officials about a rise in "rightwing extremist activity," saying the economic recession, the election of America's first black president and the return of a few disgruntled war veterans could swell the ranks of white-power militias.
The leftwing extremists fear the rightwing extremists. Imagine that. :roll:
scottm

Re: Dept of Homeland Security warns of radicals on right

Post by scottm »

Some additional commentary on the subject...

The execrable DHS report on “right-wing extremism”
http://hotair.com/archives/2009/04/14/t ... extremism/
Michelle has it covered pretty well, but I looked at the DHS report on “right-wing extremism” myself, and it’s every bit as bad as she says, and as Roger Hedgecock and the Liberty Papers first reported. The DHS fails to provide any specifics at all, preferring instead to smear half of the country or more as kooks for criticizing the government’s handling of the economy. As Eli Lake reports, the DHS has all but declared war on federalism, which used to be the founding concept of our republic.
The first question we should ask is whether the DHS is reacting to any specific threats at all? Er … no.
The DHS/Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A) has no specific information that domestic rightwing* terrorists are currently planning acts of violence, but rightwing extremists may be gaining new recruits by playing on their fears about several emergent issues.
This gets repeated over and over again during the report. They have no threat information. In fact, the report can’t even say definitively whether “extremists” are gaining “new recruits”. In order to find that, they’d have to identify the actual groups, note the recruiting patterns, and determine whether in fact they’re gaining recruits or losing members. Bottom line: DHS has no actual data. They’re pulling threats out of their collective arse and publishing them without any supporting research whatsoever.
I'm pretty sure "rightwing extremist activity" means "tea parties".