Hemi manifolds

Discussion of the 426 Street / Strip HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

drodg

Hemi manifolds

Post by drodg »

I am restoring a 67 Coronet R/T Hemi. Does anyone know the correct color to paint the exhaust manifolds. I have seen pictures taken of the engines on display from the 60's and they always show black manifolds. I do not believe the engines' exhaust manifolds were black when they were installed in the cars. Thanks
macx

Manifold Color

Post by macx »

I bought a 66 Belvedere II in Dec of 65.

I don't remember what color they were on
the showroom, if they were even painted,
but in short order they were
just plain rust colored cast iron.
Past owner of 66 426 hemi 4 speed, 70 Challenger RT/SE 440 6 pack 4 speed, 70 3/4 ton 4x4 w/425hp 440 (warmed up 6 pack), 75 440 Ramcharger, & 36 Chev coupe with 341 295hp DeSoto.
lparlier

painting exhaust manifolds

Post by lparlier »

We have been discussing this also. We are restoring our 69 hemi charger and everyone paints them black (of course it burns off) but according to an old article by Roger Gibson (restoring a 70 hemi cuda) he says they're painted engine color. What do you know? Thanks, Linda
mart

Post by mart »

I think the black paint was only used on display motors for shows and advertising pics and was not used on production engines actually installed in cars. Back in the early 70's I worked in a speed shop that worked on several Hemi cars. (I remember installing headers on several customers cars and tossing the factory manifolds in the scrap bin, because back then, nobody wanted 'em!!) Anyway, all the hemi cars that came intro our shop for headers and such, came in with plain unpainted rust colored iron manifolds.

mart
CrAzY MoPaR GuY

Post by CrAzY MoPaR GuY »

I dunno, mine is bright silver.
Nothing "correct" about it though....
:lol:

MIKE 426

67 hemi rt

Post by MIKE 426 »

hey - I was wondering if U had the numbers matching Hemi and trans for your car ? I have a complete 67 hemi and #'s matching 727 trans. Not sure were the car ened up and the origional owner passed away about 5 years ago. I have had the engine since 1996 and was planning on installing it in my 68 GTX ( 440 4-speed car ). The engine has been professionally rebuilt by Ray Barton. I know the # of hemi rt's is really low.

thanks - Mike