question about crankshaft

Discussion of the 426 Street / Strip HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

big-n-italian

question about crankshaft

Post by big-n-italian »

i have a Keith Black hemi crankshaft. my machine shop tells me they think it came out of a fueler. it was checked out and was magnafluxed - all is fine. is there someone who refurbishes these for our street use? i am debating also on selling it. is there any value in these? i am being told it is a 5/8" stroker. thank you.
mart

Re: question about crankshaft

Post by mart »

big-n-italian wrote:i have a Keith Black hemi crankshaft. my machine shop tells me they think it came out of a fueler. it was checked out and was magnafluxed - all is fine. is there someone who refurbishes these for our street use? i am debating also on selling it. is there any value in these? i am being told it is a 5/8" stroker. thank you.
=======================
If the machine shop has checked the crank out and it's ok, what is there to "refurbish" for street use?? There's no reason it wouldn't work in a street application. If it is a 5/8 inch stroker though, you'll need custom pistons made up to accommodate the increase in stroke...but that would apply to any engine you put this crank into, whether you were building a top fuel race motor or putting it in a 440 Wedge or 426 Hemi block for street use.

mart
======================
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

It will need to be turned to 10/10 under factory specs, ( racing cranks are usually 3/4 under sized for oiling) the thrust will have to be measured very closely and disclosed when sold, the location of the snout threads should be checked so you and the purchaser know if it is in/under the main journal, and the flange will have to be checked to see if it "392 style" or flanged with the flywheel locator.