426 Hemi in 71 Cuda clone

Discussion of the 426 Street / Strip HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

mike71cuda

426 Hemi in 71 Cuda clone

Post by mike71cuda »

Posted this on another forum and wanted to hear from you guys too.
Installing Hemi on my 71 Cuda clone and want to ask if there is an easy way to go about it. Never installed an engine this big and wondered what has worked and what has not. For instance drop trans tilt engine in with engine tilter and slide trans on? Also should I have torque converter mounted to flexplate or install after you have everything lined up. I would think this is tougher, but what about clearing the cowl from EVERYTHING (trans enghine converter). Should I get car up in both front and back for more ground clearence? I only want to do this once and wanted your good and bad stories to help
Thx
Smitty
hemiduster

Hemi install help

Post by hemiduster »

Don't even think about putting it in from the top.......do it from the bottom and the engine, trans, headers,
k-frame and rear trans mount go in as a single piece..........and no paint damage.

mike71cuda

But I don't have a chassis lift

Post by mike71cuda »

Doing all work in backyard and how would I lift car high enough to clear Hemi? Cherry picker and floor jacks is all I have for install. If using Cherry picker where are lifting points (with chains?), and do they clear engine, K frame etc when lowering? Seems like easiest way buit I have never attempted.
Smitty
hemiduster

Post by hemiduster »

You can do it!...............................

You have all you need. The car does not have to be up that high and it is incredibly light with all of that stuff on the ground.
We didn't even have to remove the hood to do this (and have done it many times).

The chain goes across between the front K-member bolts. You lift the car up and roll the powertrain under the car (you'll need
to fab a cart to hold the engine/trans assy)........

Slowly lower the car down around the engine untill the body can sit on jackstands. Remove the cherry-picker from the car body
and attach it to the engine (powertrain assy).

Pick the assembly up off the cart and raise it the last 6" or so into place. slip in the 4 large k-frame bolts and slide in the trans
mount bolts.

Reassemble the front control arms, spindles and and shocks. Put on the front wheels........You're rollin'...........

Later on the steering column can slide back down and be connected. I'd recommend TTi's headers above all others.

This is so easy after you have tried it once you'll never do it from the top again!

The set-up.................................

Lowering body "down'...................

Picking engine "up".......................

Last edited by hemiduster on Tue May 23, 2006 9:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
hemiduster

Re: But I don't have a chassis lift

Post by hemiduster »

mike71cuda wrote:If using Cherry picker where are lifting points (with chains?), and do they clear engine, K frame etc when lowering? Smitty
Here's a picture of the chain location I found (when doing some prototype fitting). Actually the arm of the
cherry picker will be over the top of the radiator support when doing this (see other post).

Remember, you are going to stop lowering and have the body on jack
stands when the chain is still about 6" above the K-frame so you can
pick the powertrain assy UP to meet the body.........The chain has been
removed and is no longer in the way (and it was in front of the engine
in the radiator area......not an issue).

Note how the wheels on the cart are narrow enough so that the cherry picker can straddle it.