Will we see a production 426 HEMI?

Mopar related news and press releases.
scottm

Will we see a production 426 HEMI?

Post by scottm »

There are rumors all over the place about whether we'll see a 426 HEMI in production.

I see many pessimists suggesting how hard it would be to slot a 426 between the 392 (485-hp) and blown 6.2 (707-hp). And I would agree with them. But why do people think we need to keep the 392 if they make a 426 available?

The 6.1 was available for 6 years. The 6.4 has been available for 8. Why not replace the 392 with a 426? There was roughly a 50-hp bump going from 6.1 to 6.4. Why not do it again and release a 535-hp 426 HEMI in its place?

The Camaro SS makes 455-hp. The Mustang GT makes 460-hp. The base HEMI falls well short of the base SS/GT. The larger HEMI is more aligned with them. Why not give the larger HEMI more size and power to differentiate?

And don't tell me what's what the Hellcats are for. No one is cross shopping a $40k Camaro/Mustang and a $70K Challenger. Chevy and Ford already have higher end trim levels competing in the Hellcat space.

My $0.02

PS- I'm probably biased, too, because I really want to see a new 426 HEMI in my lifetime. :)
scottm

Re: Will we see a production 426 HEMI?

Post by scottm »

Dodge to mark 50th anniversary of Hemi ‘package cars’ at NHRA U.S. Nationals
https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2018/ ... nationals/
When this year’s NHRA U.S. Nationals plays out from August 29 through September 3 at Indianapolis Raceway Park, a lot of folks are going to be channeling one of the most famous lines in motorsports:

“Hey, that thing got a Hemi?”

Dodge and parent company Fiat Chrysler Automobiles on Thursday – on National Hemi Day, no less – announced that it will celebrate the Hemi’s 50th anniversary of Super Stock package cars with the 18th annual Dodge Hemi Challenge during the U.S. Nationals.
Could there be any better time (other than 2014) to announce a new 426 HEMI? 8)