Intake Manifold....

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Rob

Intake Manifold....

Post by Rob »

I found this. I know, yall are gonna say it ain't enough, blah blah. LOL But it will be fine for what I wanna do. Plus it solves my water crossover AND thermostat problem all in one. I am workin out a deal on it now. It came off a Power Giant 354 truck engine so it will match up to my heads just right and look nostalgic as all hell doin it.

392heminut

Re: Intake Manifold....

Post by 392heminut »

Hey Rob, nothing wrong with that! You gotta build it to suit YOU! :wink:
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
George

Post by George »

What carbs are those?
Rob

Post by Rob »

They are Carter 2421YSA single barrels. Kits for them might be hard to find, but that's ok. I will adapt some more popular carbs if I have to. They have a 1.6875 venturi diameter, so just usin from what I've found regarding venturi size and flow they oughtta be in the 250 CFM each neighborhood. Actually just about right using the carburetor CFM formula. Wish me luck. I am trying to sell off a couple of carburetors to help pay for it.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

That is great Rob!
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

Look's really cool! Ya gonna be o.k. without carb.heat?
mart

Post by mart »

Not that they'd improve air flow much (if at all) over the stockers, but '60's, 70's and early-'80's vintage Slant 6 Carter or Ball & Ball 1-bbl carbs will fit that intake too. The only real advantage of switching to those, though, would be possibly to eliminate the governor used on the truck carbs and being able to source carb kits and parts easier and more cheaply.

mart
=================================
Rob

Post by Rob »

I am not familiar with that carb number.....in fact, I think it's a typo. I have several more pics of them and they are very obviously both governor free, so that makes their originality as truck carbs suspect. Not that that really matters and I certainly prefer no governors. He said that he measured the flanges and there's enough room to mod them for Holley 94s. I'm sure I can fab sumthin up if I need to. that's what it's all about, right?

Oh and as for lack of carb heat, YIPPEE!!! I've always hated it. It's not a function of a performance engine IMO at ALL. I live in Georgia, so that's never been a factor. lol
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

I wonder if you could modify that intake to put another carb in the middle? Not that you need it, I'm just thinking out loud....
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
mart

Post by mart »

DavidBraley wrote:I wonder if you could modify that intake to put another carb in the middle? Not that you need it, I'm just thinking out loud....
----------------------
I think he *needs* it <GRIN>
mart'
=============================
mart

Post by mart »

Rob wrote:I am not familiar with that carb number.....in fact, I think it's a typo. I have several more pics of them and they are very obviously both governor free, so that makes their originality as truck carbs suspect. Not that that really matters and I certainly prefer no governors. He said that he measured the flanges and there's enough room to mod them for Holley 94s. I'm sure I can fab sumthin up if I need to. that's what it's all about, right?

Oh and as for lack of carb heat, YIPPEE!!! I've always hated it. It's not a function of a performance engine IMO at ALL. I live in Georgia, so that's never been a factor. lol
---------------------------------
That manifold and carb set-up seems a bit unusual. From the pic you posted, it appears to be a truck or industrial manifold, but not having governors, the carbs are wrong. If there's no governors on them, the carbs could be originally from a 331 or 354 Chrysler marine engine and swapped onto that intake by someone because they had them, or to get rid of the governors . By the way - the Chrysler marine intake is different from the truck and industrial intake too. You can tell the marine 2-1bbl. intake from the truck and industrial 2-1bbl intake, because the marine intake is cast in two pieces and bolts together in the middle - while the truck and industrial manifold is cast in one piece. Also, the marine intakes have two flanged water ports, adjacent to the carbs that attach to a remote, cast iron 'marine-style' thermostat housing, via a manifold made of copper tubing - while truck and industrial manifolds uses a conventional automotive-type thermostat and housing. But what throws me off about the set-up in the pic you posted is that all the 2X1bbl. truck and industrial carb and intakes I've ever seen definitely had a provision for carb heat. Maybe somebody else here can shed some light on what this intake is from???

mart
========================
Rob

Post by Rob »

The gentleman that has it said "truck, marine or industrial" so I don't think he knows exactly what it came off of. I'm like you. I wouldda thought it wouldda had carb heat. I'm kinda glad it doesnt. lol
Rob

Post by Rob »

Here are some more pictures. I don't see a governor anywhere. Course that doesn't mean a thing since I barely know what I'm lookin at. LOL

mart

Post by mart »

Rob wrote:Here are some more pictures. I don't see a governor anywhere. Course that doesn't mean a thing since I barely know what I'm lookin at. LOL

-----------------
The carbs are probably either from a marine hemi or
possibly from either a flathead 6 or slant-6 from a car or light truck. It's definitely not the marine manifold though because it's a one-piece casting and it has a conventional 'truck and industrial-style' thermostat housing and water passages. I'm just guessing on this, but I'm wondering if the intake might originally be from an industrial engine that was fueled on propane or natural gas? Already being in a gaseous state, propane or natural gas - unlike gasoline - wouldn't have required a heated intake to help vaporize the fuel in cold weather. That could possibly explain the absence of the heat passages in the manifold. I wouldn't have thought though, that Chrysler would have used a different intake casting, just because the additional heat wasn't required.

By the way, if you buy the intake, don't pay a whole lot to get it. There's lots of these old truck-style 2-1bbl. intakes around, cheap, because when guys adapt a truck engine to automotive use, the 2-1bbl intakes are usually the first thing they toss. Because of this, the supply of them, however limited, usually vastly outpaces any demand! for them :).

mart
==============================
Rob

Post by Rob »

I am sure you are right about the price. If I could find another one cheaper, I would. He does probably want more for it than it's worth. However, It fits perfectly with my vision of what I want the engine to look like. Plus, it gives me a water crossover and a thermostat housing. Also, it is a factory correct piece. It will bolt on and go, whereas an aftermarket piece would cost more, plus require more spent on modding to make it work for my application. I have been looking for a less expensive one since I found it, but have found none yet. All of the carb size calculators I use say I need around 500 CFM for my engine to turn 6000 RPM max. First off, I don't really see me spinning that engine that high much...if EVER and secondly, I believe those two carburetors will flow close to 500 CFM. They can't be too far off, I wouldn't think. Trust me though, if a better deal comes up, I will take it.
George

Post by George »

I had that same truck intake, sold it for $100 some yrs ago. Supposedly used on firetrucks too & firetrucks aren't slow. The carb looks like the one that came with my intake. I think Clifford Performance has 1 to 2 bl adaptors if you go that way. A buddy saw a guy using the 2X1 with 1 bls @ the Nationals in Louisville a few yrs ago.
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

Hard to tell,but could it possibly be water heated?
Rob

Post by Rob »

mart wrote:
DavidBraley wrote:I wonder if you could modify that intake to put another carb in the middle? Not that you need it, I'm just thinking out loud....
----------------------
I think he *needs* it <GRIN>
mart'
=============================
Hay. All that ain't funny. LOL
Rob

Post by Rob »

George wrote:...............firetrucks aren't slow.

A possible theme for the vehicle? Hmmmmm
Rob

Post by Rob »

I found this at Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-2025/ Two of those and I could stick two Stromberg 97s or Holley 94s on it. That would probably handle anything I would ever put under them. Course, the 1 barrels may. Who knows?
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

With those adapters, you could also run a couple of the 2 barrel Rochester carbs.

When did those Rochester 2 barrel carbs start being built? I once owned a 66 Pontiac GTO that had three of them!

EDIT: Found them! "The 2G (later 2GC and 2GV) carburetor, commonly called DualJet, was introduced in 1955, and continued to be used on GM V8s until at least 1969."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester_ ... s_Division

:wink:
George

Post by George »

Rob wrote:I found this at Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-2025/ Two of those and I could stick two Stromberg 97s or Holley 94s on it. That would probably handle anything I would ever put under them. Course, the 1 barrels may. Who knows?
The 97s would have you @ 300 CFM total & the Holleys not a lot more, less than 400 CFM.
Rob

Post by Rob »

George wrote:
Rob wrote:I found this at Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-2025/ Two of those and I could stick two Stromberg 97s or Holley 94s on it. That would probably handle anything I would ever put under them. Course, the 1 barrels may. Who knows?
The 97s would have you @ 300 CFM total & the Holleys not a lot more, less than 400 CFM.
Then maybe I need one in the middle. LOL If that's all that they flow, then those one barrels have to be even less. Might be best to stick with my original plan for one thermoquad. Won't be as nostalgic, but it would certainly work.
George

Post by George »

Rob wrote:
George wrote:
Then maybe I need one in the middle. LOL If that's all that they flow, then those one barrels have to be even less. Might be best to stick with my original plan for one thermoquad. Won't be as nostalgic, but it would certainly work.
Build a plenum box with room for 4 97s & bolt it to the intake!
Rob

Post by Rob »

George wrote:Build a plenum box with room for 4 97s & bolt it to the intake!

Somehow FOUR 97s and "budget" just don't go together George. But you know, anything is possible at this point. I have no deadline.