industrial 331

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

iceboxdan

industrial 331

Post by iceboxdan »

i have a chance to buy a 331 industrial that is on a DC generator . i ran two years ago and has been inside since . the id # is IND241687S can i take it out of the gen. and put it in my 50 ford rat rod? i am new here an i have never had a hemi before so i know very very little about them. how hard will it be to mount a tranny up to it? it has the short block ( it is only 2.5 inches behind the head .nor the one that is closer to 6 inches)ImageImage
mart

Re: industrial 331

Post by mart »

The short bell industrial block is the same as the short-bell passenger car engine, so any flywheel, flexplate, bellhousing or adapter set-up made for the a regular passenger car block will bolt right up. About using this engine in your '50 Ford rod - it's a great choice, (any Hemi is!) but as it is, in stock 'industrial
engine' form, it'll be a total dog. The industrials all had very low compression pistons (about 7 or 7.5 to 1), very low rpm 'industrial' camshafts designed for peak horsepower around 2800 or so rpm and very restrictive single 2-bbl or two 1-bbl carb and intakes. In addition, the industrial heads *likely* (but not necessarily)
have the more restrictive, 'large stem' sodium cooled exhaust valves too. For any kind of performance use in a car, you're looking at a complete rebuild, with new, higher compression pistons, a decent performance' camshaft and at least a 4-bbl carb and intake. In addition, if the cylinder heads have got sodium-cooled valves, I'd either install new 'smaller-stem' guides along
with matching passenger car-sized (or slightly bigger) valves....or swap the heads for a set of regular passenger car heads. If you go with passenger car heads and the original industrialheads have adjustable rocker arms (some did but most didn't - even though all the
industrials came the required 'dimpled' valve covers for them!), those are highly desirable and I'd definitely keep those and transfer them over to the passenger car heads.

mart
================================