331 hemi rebiuld kits

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Hemi8me

331 hemi rebiuld kits

Post by Hemi8me »

Hello all. I am thinking about buying a 331 hemi. Not sure which one it is yet. My question is...Where is the best place to buy a rebuild kit? I would like to make some power with it too. This would be for a rat rod project. Is $1000 to much for one too?

I was also given this as the casting number. 13268129-1. Not sure if that was the right number. It doesn't match anything on the net.
The hemi is all I have for my Rat Rod.....1956 354 HEMI
392heminut

Re: 331 hemi rebiuld kits

Post by 392heminut »

I would recommend Hot Heads. Bob Walker is the owner and is great to deal with, and the customer service is as good as it gets. They have the most extensive lineup of parts and accessories of any place dealing in early hemi parts. If it's available for the early hemis then Bob probably has it.

http://www.hothemiheads.com/
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
George

Post by George »

casting #s are 7 digits & you have 8, so you need to get the right numbers. If it is a short tail 54/55 that's not a bad price, a bit high if a 51-3 long tail.
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

That # does not show up in any of my data, however...since the numbers tend to run sequentially... it's below the 1952 casting numbers, in my book. Can you get the number off the front, top, center of the block? it's stamped, not cast.
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
Hemi8me

Post by Hemi8me »

I am trying to get that number. I might call him tomorrow to have him look.
mart

Post by mart »

Hemi8me wrote:I am trying to get that number. I might call him tomorrow to have him look.
---------------
As previously stated, you need to get the stamped numbers from the front/top of the block to find out exactly what the engine is. Basically though, if it's a 331 from a car, truck or even an industrial application it should be ok and a candidate for rebuilding. If it's
a truck or industrial 331, you'll need to switch to passenger car-style heads and intake if you plan on making serious power. Then to make those work, you'll also need to use the passenger car-style front cover, water pump and water manifold to be compatible with the passenger car-style heads and intake. Not a big deal, so long as you know that going in and factor that into the price. The only real caution would be if the engine is a marine hemi. They can be adapted/converted to automotive use, but you're looking at a lot more expense and changes, including plugging some extra holes cast into the block and replacing the crank, cam, cam drive, distributor and other parts with automotive-style pieces. Again, nothing wrong with that so long as you have the budget for it and you know what you're getting into *before* you buy it.

mart
=======================
Hemi8me

Post by Hemi8me »

It was out of a car. The tranny is still attached to it.
George

Post by George »

Hemi8me wrote:It was out of a car. The tranny is still attached to it.
If the engine is stuck, insist on him removing the tranny.
Hemi8me

Post by Hemi8me »

Follow up. I did not buy this engine.