Roller camshaft?

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

HARDTOP

Roller camshaft?

Post by HARDTOP »

Since Crane Cams is out of business, does anyone know where to get a hydraulic roller camshaft for a 354? I have tried many companies (Clay smith, Camshaft innovations, Comp, Isky...etc) only to be told that there are no cores available :evil:
392 cores won't work because of the valvetrain geometry. Crappy thing is, I already forked out the cash for the roller lifters and was saving up to buy the camshaft when Crane closed. I have been looking since Feb. NEED HELP!!
NE57

Re: Roller camshaft?

Post by NE57 »

Co-incidentally I just got an email from an outfit called thunderchicken telling me they have early hemi cam cores available. I responded to them with this thread link, suggesting they get in touch. I don't know if its OK to post ebay links here so if they don't post soon, PM me and I'll get you the info.

I have no experience with them, for what its worth, just a lead. Good luck.
speedicusmaximus

Post by speedicusmaximus »

Crane HAS restarted, under new ownership - Scott posted the news on here about a week ago. They're now located in Florida.

Mike
Beep ! Beep !
HARDTOP

Post by HARDTOP »

Thanks for the help guys!! I was able to contact SS cycle, the company that purchased Crane Cams, and they had one of the Crane techs find the LAST blank hydraulic roller core that was in Crane's inventory. :lol: I should have it in about a week or so!! I just wish they had a couple more!! I would have given my left nut for the one I purchased, but $160 bucks sounded better to me :D So now all I have to do is decide how mean this 5.0 litre eater is going to be :evil:

Again, thanks for the help. :wink:
polyspheric

Post by polyspheric »

I really must stop doing this.
Last edited by polyspheric on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HARDTOP

Post by HARDTOP »

From what I have been told, 392 roller cores will not work on a 354 or 331. Apparently you will grind through the heat treatment if you try to grind and adjust for the different lifter angles. You should have the same problem if you tried to grind a solid roller down to a hydraulic roller profile. So I've been told by Comp Cams, Clay Smith Cams, Isky...They are the experts!!
polyspheric

Post by polyspheric »

No, that's the guy who answers the phone. I rather doubt that you got someone with an engineering degree on the phone.
The math: if the base circle (don't know, just an example) is 1.000", and the lobe is .400", that makes the OD at the lobe .900" (can't be taller than 1.000" - that's the journal size), with a circumference of 5.655". A movement of 2.5° is a maximum change of .0196" (20 thousandths) at the lobe peak, and only .0109" (11 thousandths) at the ramp edge.
By comparison, a change in the LSA of 5° (done all the time) has... exactly the same effect. If they can do that, they can do a 354.
Possible reasons:
1. they're not interested (more shop set-up time, no profit).
2. they're not "the experts", they just sell cams.
HARDTOP

Post by HARDTOP »

Thanks for the info - I try to think that companies are doing the best thing for their customers, but like you said, you never really know who's on the other end of the phone. But SS cycle and Crane Cams have been very helpful, polite and appreciative of my business. I won't hesitate to recommend them to anybody.

Is anybody else running a hydraulic roller cam in a street engine? If so, what grind are you running?
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

I was always under the impression that the heat treating was done AFTER grinding the cam!
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda