Water Pump rebuilders?

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

ebbsspeed

Water Pump rebuilders?

Post by ebbsspeed »

The water pump on my 56 New Yorker is starting to pee a little, and I would like to know if any of you know a good rebuilder, even better if they are in tha Kansas City area. Or Or would I be better off to get the lifetime warranty pump from Kanter ($147, plus core). Are there other suppliers of lifetime warranted pumps for less?
Powerflite

Post by Powerflite »

I just had mine rebuilt by G&A Automotive http://www.automotive-parts-rebuilders.com/ and they did an accpetable job, but used homemade gaskets. It cost me $100 and came with a 1 year warranty. I would say the Kanter deal sounds pretty good.
jet

Post by jet »

Ive got a feeling that a slant six rebuild kit will fit a 392 but its been a while since i did it.
JET
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

12/06 Kantor replaced a water pump purchased for a 69 Imperial Limo purchased and installed in 1979. Total replacement cost, 12.50 for the shipping.

Try that with ANY other company anywhere.......ahhh those lifetime warranties....
ebbsspeed

Post by ebbsspeed »

Jet, I think the 392 has a different water pump than the 354 in my car has. If I recall, the 392's used a pump that had a separate crossover, and the front cover and impeller were a replaceable assembly. The 354 has the crossover cast as part of the water pump, and the impeller has to be removed from a cover on the back of the pump. The whole assembly is a pretty large casting.

Pete, thanks for the reinforcement that Kanter stands behind their lifetime warranty stuff. I've got one of their pumps on a 1940 Cadillac, and it's been good for about a dozen years so far. Nice to know that if/when it does go south on me they'll stand behind it.
jet

Post by jet »

Ebbspeed, I should clarify that the shaft and bearing assembly along with the seal and maybe the impellar for a slant6 will fit the 392 pump, if my memory is correct. Could be wrong though.
JET
Jacin

392 Water Pump Rebuild

Post by Jacin »

I see I'm kinda late herem but maybe be of some use for someone.

I've rebuilt a couple early hemi pumps by finding other NEW Early Mopar pumps at the swap meets (dirt cheap of course) and used the impeller seal and shaft to rebuild mine. From what I've noticed IF the impleer shaft is the right O.D. then the internals are the same. The only other thing I've had to do is to reface the surface the casting where the seals rides - a skim cut in the lathe is all I've ever done. I suppose it'd be a good idea to make a stainless insert especially if your motor sits alot. Maybe on my next one!! Food for thought.