331 Build for early 50's dry lakes car

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

3314me

331 Build for early 50's dry lakes car

Post by 3314me »

Hello all, I am building a track nosed and belly pan equipped 27't (steel) over a modified model A frame with a Cyclone (not repop) quick change rear and a 37' Cad Lasalle trans.
I recently acquired a 331 extended bell housing complete engine. Is there any market for the trans (big automatic), intake and generator/power steering pump (all in one?)?
Also as far as rebuilding it I would like to keep it early 50's on the outside but possible bore and bump the compression up. What is the largest bore and stroke possible? How can I improve upon the heads?
I am going to run a 4x2bbl manifold (homemade), what should I do in regards to the water ports on the manifold? Can I run them out of somewhere else? Thanks a million......
41hemi

Post by 41hemi »

The 2 barrel (i'm assuming) intake and the trans are not worth much other than to a restorer. If it's a 4 barrel then you have something worth keeping. Pretty much the same with the gen/power steering pump. When you make the intake you can provide some 1/2" pipe thread ports over the head water passage on both heads and run these lines to a remote thermostat housing which will allow you to convert over to a regular upper hose. If your 331 is from 1954 then you probably have a real nice set of heads to begin with. These heads are supposed to have the same desirable "high ports" as the 1955 "triple nickel" heads that have the water ports in each end of the head. Better sonic test your block to see how far you can punch it. Have fun! :lol:
41 Chevy with blown 330 Desoto / 32 Ford coupe with blown 392 Chrysler
George

Post by George »

The OEM heads have round exhaust ports. You can replace them with '54 heads (oval ex. ports) & 4 bl wet intake. Or get '55/'56 heads, they have the front water outlets & dry intake. If it passes sonic check it could be bored out to 354 standard 3.9375"
3314me

Post by 3314me »

Thanks for the info, I'd like to keep the stock heads if at all possible and make some decent hp. Id like to see 300+ hp in this car, it should haul. Its a 2 barrel nanifold so I think I might just ebay it and see what happens. Off the cuff if I do bore it to 354 cid, and have a fairly aggressive cam and maybe 10.5 to 1 comp ratio what am I looking at? Thanks again!!!!
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Bore probably 4.00 max, sonic check to see or sleeve away

Stroke 4.25 max

This will give you a low deck 427 inch engine

Heads have to go, use 54 55 or 56 heads

Keep compression to about 10:1 for gas or go cracy and 13-14:1 and run alky

induction system (man and carb) will need to flow enough to feed the inches, 2bbl or small 4bbl will not do it. alky will require even larger carb(s)

Hilborn fuel injection would be adequate for either.
3314me

Post by 3314me »

Cool thanks for the info....is there any reputable builders in the SO CAL area?
Does anyone have an extra set of 1954 heads they would be willing to part with? I was gong to run 4 two barrels on a log type manifold. I'm figuring that would be about 1000 cfm. Should be more than enough...thanks all.