392 Sleeving repair, Good shops within 1500 miles of Elko NV

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

IronMonger

392 Sleeving repair, Good shops within 1500 miles of Elko NV

Post by IronMonger »

I have a 392 that I need to have two of the cylinders welded up and then sleeved. Of coarse I need all of the requesit machine-ing to the rest of the block as well. I need recommendations to thorough and trusted machine shops or persons whom can complete this work and are well versed in early hemi's. I am willing to ship as I relize that none are close to me. I am 3 1/2 hours from Salt Lake City, 4 1/2 hours from Reno and 7 hours from vegas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated:) I seriously want to reserect this engine do to where I aquired it from and its destination:) :o
I believe in quality, perfection, horsepower and class, things that seem to be a dying art today;)
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

That would put you 11-12 hours from Ed Pink, the best.
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
IronMonger

Post by IronMonger »

Thanks for the response:), whom is Ed Pink, can you tell me more?, where he's located n how to get ahold of him. Thanks! This is a huge learning curve for me when it comes to the hemi's, though I am fairly well versed in engines n vehicles in general.
I believe in quality, perfection, horsepower and class, things that seem to be a dying art today;)
wayfarer

392 sleeve

Post by wayfarer »

Another machine shop is in Albany Oregon. Virgil Hanson at 541.926.5742. Virgil has alot of Hemi experience including his 35 Ford with 331 that he drives to Bonneville each year...
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

Ed Pink, AKA The old master:
www.edpink.com
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

Well, no one can dispute the historic abilities of Ed Pink, or the rest of his fraternaty, ie., Joe Reath, Dave Z, Evans & Enrique, et al. But lets get real. These guys are in their 80's and probably haven't touched a block in years let alone actually worked on one.
This is in no way meant to demean anyone, but reality says keen eyesight, steady hands and mental focus are probably not our greatest asset at that age. The shop may well have his name on the marque but it would be best to look at who is actually doing the work. None of us want to admit that we are in a continual aging process that slows us down and eats away at everything that makes us who we are, including all you Casanova types, but it is the process, we are all affected, and no one gets out alive.
Yes, Ed Pink was the greatest back in the 60's. Now do the math.
desotoman

Post by desotoman »

Nothing wrong with Ed Pink. Last year he came and talked at one of our club meetings. Still as sharp as ever. Toyota has him doing R&D work for them. I asked him questions about timing chains in SOHC Ford motors he worked on years ago and his reponse to my question was instant. I would not hesitate to take my motor there to be worked on. I would call first though and see if he has the time or is really interested in doing sleeving.
Good luck. :)
hemidup

Re: 392 Sleeving repair, Good shops within 1500 miles of Elk

Post by hemidup »

IronMonger wrote:.

Any suggestions would be appreciated:) I seriously want to reserect this engine do to where I aquired it from and its destination:) :o
Do you really need to use the same block? Why not get a different one?
392 Blown Hemi
392heminut

Re: 392 Sleeving repair, Good shops within 1500 miles of Elk

Post by 392heminut »

hemidup wrote:
IronMonger wrote:.

Do you really need to use the same block? Why not get a different one?
With the scarcity and price of 392's these days, I would say that any 392 block only needing a couple of sleeves is definately worth fixing.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

What's a fair price nowadays for a 392? I might be able to help you out.
392 Blown Hemi
IronMonger

392 sleeving.

Post by IronMonger »

Thanks for the responses. I have been hard at work, at work and slowed down by winter :/ but now its time to get this thing crated up and shipped off to see if it can be fixed. Are these men pretty much the only trusted individuals when it comes to early hemi's??????? 8)
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Any good commercial automotive machine shop can sleeve the block. You shipping it off somewhere will cost more than the sleeve work.
IronMonger

true

Post by IronMonger »

Unfortunatly any machineshop does not exist in the small town of Elko :) So As i have to send this off, it mind as well be to someone well versed n recommended for hemis so the rest of the work can be done as well, any last minute reputable suggestions are much appreciated. :wink:
Bob Kraemer

Post by Bob Kraemer »

Go to this message board and ask your question a lot a old time drag racers there.

http://www.classicfunnycarboard.com/cgi ... nboard.cgi
Bob Kraemer