Bought a 392 this week....

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

krooser

Bought a 392 this week....

Post by krooser »

A big project but it IS a 392...A-1 casting...one cylinder busted due to a water freeze-up...two broken rods...one piston has a hole thru the top where one rod poked thru!

The amazing part is the block looks good....and the crank is nice.

I've got it at the machine shop right now getting disassembled and mag'd....
China...Great Food...Crappy Tools
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

Killer. My 392 was rusted stuck had to beat four pistons out. Block, crank, rods and heads all turned out good.

Is this another 392 that you have or is it the first? What other Hemis do you have? Got pictures?

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
krooser

Post by krooser »

Moparlee wrote:Killer. My 392 was rusted stuck had to beat four pistons out. Block, crank, rods and heads all turned out good.

Is this another 392 that you have or is it the first? What other Hemis do you have? Got pictures?

Lee
The 354 that's in my '56 F-100 was another basket case. Beat out seven pstons but my machinist had to use a 40 ton press to extract #8. It has four sleeves, too.

I also have one '56 300-C 354, two IND-56's, and two low deck DeSoto's....

[/img][/url]
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

:o
Cool, my 354 has got one bad cylinder and a little crack from that cylinder to a water hole :-? . Do yo think it's salvageable? It's a basket case also. The crank that I have is .040 over I do believe and rusted pretty badly. I lack one rod for that motor and need low deck heads for it also :roll:.

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Pin the deck and sleeve the cylinder should work fine. The crank at .040 is done.
krooser

Post by krooser »

Moparlee wrote::o
Cool, my 354 has got one bad cylinder and a little crack from that cylinder to a water hole :-? . Do yo think it's salvageable? It's a basket case also. The crank that I have is .040 over I do believe and rusted pretty badly. I lack one rod for that motor and need low deck heads for it also :roll:.

Lee
That can be fixed....find a GOOD machine shop that isn't afraid of FIXIN' things....

Save the crank...good candidate for a welded stroker...
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

"Save the crank...good candidate for a welded stroker..."

At 100+ dollars per journal to weld a crank that is a real exenpensive idea.

Welding and offset grinding on 4 rod journals....... then welding up the 5 main journals? Sounds like a great idea.

good for barn door stop or boat anchor... :D
krooser

Post by krooser »

Bailiesdad wrote:"Save the crank...good candidate for a welded stroker..."

At 100+ dollars per journal to weld a crank that is a real exenpensive idea.

Welding and offset grinding on 4 rod journals....... then welding up the 5 main journals? Sounds like a great idea.

good for barn door stop or boat anchor... :D
Around here the charge is $400.00 (varies by shop) to weld/grind the crank throws, straighten the crank and grind the mains...don't know about welding the mains.

I guess we get stuff done a little cheaper here in flyover land....
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

"Around here the charge is $400.00 (varies by shop) to weld/grind the crank throws, straighten the crank and grind the mains...don't know about welding the mains."

4X100 = 400

plus now you know it has 5 additional main journals that cost 100 per journal.

So that would be 5X100 + 4X100 to bring it back to standard, offset grinding would add MORE cost, building up for a stroke increase would add MORE cost.

You gonna spend 900 plus dollars on a 50 year old crank?

Come back and post what ANY machine shop says when you ask them to do that....
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

[quote="Bailiesdad"]"Around here the charge is $400.00 (varies by shop) to weld/grind the crank throws, straighten the crank and grind the mains...don't know about welding the mains."

4X100 = 400

So that would be 5X100 + 4X100 to bring it back to standard, offset grinding would add MORE cost, building up for a stroke increase would
add MORE cost.

CSC company used to charge 950 to weld up and offset grind a stock 10/10 or better Chrysler crank to 4.5 inches, reffered to as a 5/8th inch stroker.. If you sent a core at .040 they would return it charging you an estimate and return shipping cost or just scrap it...

You gonna spend 900 plus dollars on a 50 year old crank? Why even suggest someone else do it?

krooser

Post by krooser »

Bailiesdad wrote:"Around here the charge is $400.00 (varies by shop) to weld/grind the crank throws, straighten the crank and grind the mains...don't know about welding the mains."

4X100 = 400

So that would be 5X100 + 4X100 to bring it back to standard, offset grinding would add MORE cost, building up for a stroke increase would add MORE cost.

You gonna spend 900 plus dollars on a 50 year old crank?

That's $400.00 for all the work required to weld and offset grind the crank..

I would imagine a new billet crank in a longer stroke would be three to four times that cost?

If you don't want to spend that $$$ on a 50 year old crank, why spend it on a 50 year old block, heads or any old part at all.....just go buy a SBC crate motor and get it over with....
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

"That's $400.00 for all the work required to weld and offset grind the crank.. "

What is the name of the place that will take a rusty, currently .040 crank, weld 4 rod journals, weld 5 main journals, grind the mains to std, then offset grind the rod journals for additional stroke all for 400.00? I want to send them a lot of business.
krooser

Post by krooser »

Bailiesdad wrote:"That's $400.00 for all the work required to weld and offset grind the crank.. "

What is the name of the place that will take a rusty, currently .040 crank, weld 4 rod journals, weld 5 main journals, grind the mains to std, then offset grind the rod journals for additional stroke all for 400.00? I want to send them a lot of business.
The mains would be extra....

All of the local shops grind cranks for $80 to $95.00......prices here are real competitive since we here in Wisconsin are really cheap bastards....

I got the $400.00 figure from a local crank shop in Appleton, WI.....

But I really don't want to get in a pissing match with you....obviously you are one of the world's foremost Hemi engine experts....and I've only been messing with this stuff since the early 60's.....I can't wait to have all the answers like you....
scottm

Post by scottm »

I don't see this getting anywhere. Locking.