PERTRONIX IGNITOR ???'S FOR '56 354 HEMI

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

65Valiant

PERTRONIX IGNITOR ???'S FOR '56 354 HEMI

Post by 65Valiant »

HEY THERE,
I WAS JUST CURIOUS IF ANYONE HAD REPLACED THEIR DUAL POINTS WITH A PERTRONIX CONVERSION AND IF SO HOW DID IT WORK? ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH IT? JUST LOOKING FOR SOME FEEDBACK THANKS BRIAN AND GORDY
'65 VALIANT W/ 354 HEMI
krooser

Post by krooser »

Never knew one not to work good...I'll be carrying one for a spare in case my MAG dies on the road...
China...Great Food...Crappy Tools
wayfarer

pertronix

Post by wayfarer »

the pertronix is only going to be as good as your worn out shaft and housing...
IMHO the Mopar electronic is the best basic system available, plus you can add the MSD 6A or other...
These are easy swaps into the early engines. Send a PM if you need help.
George

Post by George »

I was looking @ a NAPA book once & it seemed to show the 354 points as being mirror image of the 331/392 points. Didn't make sence, don't know if true. As said above you would be best off getting a new dizzy for a 318 of the type you like. The "adaptor kits" used to "convert" them are nothing more than tubing that has an inside diameter the same size as the thicknes of the dist. shaft. Cut the shaft, use the tubing to extend to the right lenth & set pin in place.
wayfarer

distributor

Post by wayfarer »

Remember that once you cut the shaft, you now have a 'custom' part that cannot be readily replaced if required, and sometimes distributors will seize...
I can provide a new design intermediate shaft/gear assembly that allows use of any A-LA dist, no changes...
DblAdigger

Post by DblAdigger »

I buy the adaptor shaft and a new gear from Hot Heads. 318/360 distributor then fits fine. IMHO, cutting/stretching the shaft will cause BAD problems with runout. The last mag I checked, with a cut/stretched shaft had OVER .200 runout. Cost the customer a new shaft.
Chuck Stevens
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.