Riverbed Reserection Hemi : torque converter removal.

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

IronMonger

Riverbed Reserection Hemi : torque converter removal.

Post by IronMonger »

Anybody know if it's possible to remove the torque converter without removing the crank assembly as a whole. The rotating assembly is not rotatable so that is not an option to access each of the nuts. Just curious if there is a way that I'm not seeing or if I need to bite the bullet and take it out as a whole unit to get the converter off. Thanks for the help (392, auto.)
II.
I believe in quality, perfection, horsepower and class, things that seem to be a dying art today;)
ks662

torque converter removal.

Post by ks662 »

I had the same problem with my 392.All the pistons were stuck.Took off all the main caps and then the rod caps.The rod caps took most of a day to remove.I put a bottle jack under the snout of the crank and one under the torque converter snout and jacked it up real slow!Got the crank out without a scratch.I had to drill holes in the pistons and chisel them out.What I should have done I think is chisel the pistons out first then take out the crank.I had filled the cylinders with kerosene,PB Blaster,WD40 and carburetor cleaner for two months beat on the pistons with 2X4's and big hammers and it never did move anything. And the oil never penetrated at all.Oh and the cam and lifters were a lot of fun to.
buzzworm

Post by buzzworm »

If you don't want to save it, use a "hot wrench" and burn the bolts off. If it was full of water it is probaby junk anyhow. The second choice is to break the bellhousing with a hammer as they are relatively easy to find. Then you can get all the way around it. I know it sounds brutal but life can be that way....