tech advice on EARLY HEMI ENGINES

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

dodgedifferent2

tech advice on EARLY HEMI ENGINES

Post by dodgedifferent2 »

Hi all I'm trying to compile a list of specs and results on any modifed Early Hemi's. This way anybody in the future who wants to build an early Hemi will have a good idea of what build ups yield which HP/Torque etc. without having a potential trial and error to get the HP/torque desired out of their next buildup. I'm looking for personal experiences or even magazine articles about early Hemi buildups, specifically which early Hemi was it, what machine work was done" porting, boring, stroking, valves"- what aftermarket parts where added" pistons, compression,cam spec's, type of intake, carbs, headers etc" and what that engine Horsepower and Torque turned out on the Dyno. Or if it was never dyno'd what's the best Quarter Mile in what car "weight" so I can do rough calculation on HP at least. I'm willing to post the findings on this list or email anybody offline that interested once I get a decent # of examples so that we all have a reference guide in our next early hemi build on what worked.
scottm

Post by scottm »

I am, obviously, more than willing to post the
goods on this website so everyone can share.
Ply36

241 Hemi buildup

Post by Ply36 »

I've had a build-up done on my '54 Dodge 241. All the machine work, assembly, parts-chasing, etc., was done by Roger's Engine Shop in Lansing, Mi. It was quite a task, and not cheap. But since it's not your typical SBC, I knew it wouldn't be. I learned about Roger from an article in Mopar Muscle that was published about Feb or March of '99. The particulars:

10 to 1 JE forged alum pistons
Isky reground my existing cam to (@.050) 221; lift at 310
Balance, ported
new valves and springs

I'm running a 3X2 carburetion setup on a Offenhauser manifold. I'll be bolting it up to '69 Charger A833 4 speed. I've learned that a MSD or a Mallory distr for a Mopar small block will work in the early Dodge Hemi (didn't know powerplay had them at the time).
I had to set the project aside when the economy tumbled, so the engine has not yet been put in the car. I would love to know the expected horsepower of this thing, so if anybody has an idea, let me know.
BTW, this is going into a '36 Plymouth coupe.
dodgedifferent2

keep posting.

this is about as far as i have ever got with peoples buildups no one seems to want to share :cry:
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

I've got a 354 bored out to 4". That make it a 365. I'm using some forged std bore 392 pistons that make about 9:1 compression in this engine. The heads are unported with a basic three angle valve job. The cam was reground by Crower. 221 degrees duration @.050 with .461 lift. I'm running four Stromberg 97 carbs on a progressive linkage.

The engine is in a 31 Pontiac 5 window coupe. The thing got a lot heavier than I intended. I overbuilt the chassis, plus the hemi, a cast bell, and cast A833 O/D trans.

Best time at the strip so far is a 13.42 @101.53

Hope this is the kind of info you were looking for.
dodgedifferent2

that is exactly the type of information i was looking for
41hemi

Rebuilding hemis

Post by 41hemi »

I run a blown 56 330 Desoto in my 41 Chevy hot rod. A machine shop here in Baltimore did the machine work. Name of the shop is Racing parts and Machine. They bored the block only enough to clean them up. Stock bore 292 Ford pistons were used and the only alteration needed was the valve reliefs cut into the pistons. Crank is 10-10 and I bought the bearings from Kanter Auto parts. Gaskets are Felpro. Original cam was reground at Camcraft here in Md. I fabricated an aluminum blower intake for a 6-71 GMC and use 2 500 Carters on top of it. The car has been together 3 years and I a proud to say that it runs fine down the road, idles rather smoothly, ans starts without a lot of coaxing! Oh, one last thought--I used chevy intake valves as Desoto ones were very expensive. Chevy valves are the same size and length with a stem diameter a little smaller than Desoto. I just used new bronze guides and bored them to the Chevy size!
41 Chevy with blown 330 Desoto / 32 Ford coupe with blown 392 Chrysler
budmspeeco

engine buildup info

Post by budmspeeco »

I am working on three hemis right now. I am in South Houston, Texas. #1 is a 392 . Basic bore & hone with block plates. I bought the plate from BHJ because no machine shop had one. All 5 main caps from Hot Heads( they are absolute works of art) , h-beam rods,hydraulic cam, head and main studs,forged Ross pistons,stock crank,and a polished Weiand blower with a pair of B.G. carbs. It is going to Austrailia for a friend to put into a '33 Ford glass coupe. #2 is a 392 with a 4.250 stroke crank, aluminum 7.125 Brooks 88 rods, roller cam, ported 392 heads with the 351 Cleveland valves cut down to fit intake & exhaust, adjustable Chrysler rockers. forged Ross pistons, and a home built 671 blower with a Weiand intake and drive, and a vertex mag.I am putting it in my chopped '48 Anglia for the street. Have a 700R4 and early Olds rear end. Halibrands all around.. #3 is a .090 over 354 ( .030 392 pistons) with a crank stroked to 3.67 ,B.Bl. chevy 6.800 h-beam rods, roller cam, Donovan exhaust rockers and stock intakes, a real nice set of 354 ported heads off of ebay, 2.00 intake and 1.800 exhaust titanium valves, injectors. It is going in a Bonneville car we hope to finish for 2006. A roadster. I am furnishing the motor and a friend in the paint and restoration business the car. It is in a kind of rat rod theme. Good body , great motor, and a safe chassis. Shooting for 200. These are the first hemis I have ever worked on. I may dyno the Austrailian motor and the Bonneville motor for sure. A back injury has kept the progress a little slow because of financial and physical limitations but it is creeping forward. Funding is also through my selling Street Rodder hemi series reprints. I cut out the 12 issues and assembled them in 30 pages front and back. Ask Scott how he likes his. Email me for a set at $10.00 including shipping. Buddy
'48 anglia
nate331

looking for Advise

Post by nate331 »

I am looking for any one who can tell me a little bit about the early 331 hemis. I just aquired one for my first mopar and would like to get some build up tips. the motor is complete with original trans. up until about a month ago i didnt even know there was a 331. i would like to stroke the motor and need some tips on which cranks would work best. It is going to go into a 1968 Barracuda. NEED SOME HELP OR TIPS. thanks
Future 68 Barracuda, Young Gun
George

tech advise

Post by George »

You probably should have started a new thread. First, get Tex Smith's Hemi Book from Hot Rod Library. 2nd, unless your doing a restoration toss the trany. Get an adaptor for your fav. tranny. 3rd Ive heard of drag racers using big stroker cranks, I've also heard that early Hemi strokers like to throw rods....
LordMaximo

Old Hemi builds

Post by LordMaximo »

:o Now we are getting somewhere. I belong to two other forums that are really good sites. This is by far the bewst hemi site on the web.
I have a 1954 Desotto 276ci. I needs plenty of work and the main shops want a grundle of that green stuff just because it is a hemi. I never thought the machine work would actually be almost twice the amount compaired to a CSB. It really sucks being tacken advantage of just because you have a special build engine. I live out here in northern Utah and really do not have much choices in who I could really trust with my hemi. Anyway, this is a very much worth while composition you have taken on gathering this information.
Hats off to you friend! :D I know there are many out there that I will point into this direction to help build the book. Most persons who find out about my hemi are either turned on and like the idea and the others just hate me for having the old beast. It is going into the rails of my '34 Ford truck once finished. I guess they hate me for that one as well. Always someone trying to talk me out of it as well. :roll: I just love it.
'34 Ford Truck Roadster
'54 Desoto 276 CI Hemi
dodgedifferent2

Re: tech advise

George wrote:You probably should have started a new thread. First, get Tex Smith's Hemi Book from Hot Rod Library. 2nd, unless your doing a restoration toss the trany. Get an adaptor for your fav. tranny. 3rd Ive heard of drag racers using big stroker cranks, I've also heard that early Hemi strokers like to throw rods....
i did not find that book to helpful. It was great if you had a 392. Seemed to be all they talked about. Very small bits of information was in there about the 354 or 331.
Moparlee

Re: engine buildup info

Post by Moparlee »

budmspeeco wrote:. #2 is a 392 with a 4.250 stroke crank, aluminum 7.125 Brooks 88 rods, roller cam, ported 392 heads with the 351 Cleveland valves cut down to fit intake & exhaust, adjustable Chrysler rockers. forged Ross pistons, and a home built 671 blower with a Weiand intake and drive, and a vertex mag.I am putting it in my chopped '48 Anglia for the street. Have a 700R4 and early Olds rear end. Halibrands all around.. Buddy
Where are you getting the 4.250 stroke crank at? Thanks for your time.

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant