"FAST Hemi vs Buick vs Vette Shootout"

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

ks662

"FAST Hemi vs Buick vs Vette Shootout"

Post by ks662 »

Great video.The vette driver comment at the end is priceless,he's a class act.
http://media.putfile.com/FAST-Hemi-vs-B ... e-Shootout
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

Thanks for the link. I'm glad the Hemi hot lapped the Vette, just to kick his butt on the second pass.
392 Blown Hemi
41hemi

Post by 41hemi »

I'll shoehorn a hemi in that vette if that's what he wants.....or needs in this case :lol:
41 Chevy with blown 330 Desoto / 32 Ford coupe with blown 392 Chrysler
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

41hemi wrote:I'll shoehorn a hemi in that vette if that's what he wants.....or needs in this case :lol:
The L88 Corvettes are faster, lighter, more aero efficient, and worth more than just about any hemi car ever produced.

Having owned a 67 L88 Corvette and a 69 Hemi Superbee there was no comparision. Plus the Corvette cost 6000 in early 68 and the Bee was a meager 4200 in 69.

Those L88 engines put out 500 plus, bone stock and blew the doors off just about anything without a blower.

The 69 Corvette ZL1s were even more powerful and faster. They were the absolute pinacle of the muscle car era engines. (Never got one of those, I was on vacation in the South Pacific.)

Both Corvettes were sports cars and did not race in the same class as the Mopars.

If Wayne can get the suspension and engine right, the Corvette will pull away from Daves Mopar, again. I believe if you check, Waynes' Corvette owns the FAST record currently.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Bailiesdad wrote:
41hemi wrote:I'll shoehorn a hemi in that vette if that's what he wants.....or needs in this case :lol:
The L88 Corvettes are faster, lighter, more aero efficient, and worth more than just about any hemi car ever produced.

Having owned a 67 L88 Corvette and a 69 Hemi Superbee there was no comparision. Plus the Corvette cost 6000 in early 68 and the Bee was a meager 4200 in 69.

Those L88 engines put out 500 plus, bone stock and blew the doors off just about anything without a blower.

The 69 Corvette ZL1s were even more powerful and faster. They were the absolute pinacle of the muscle car era engines. (Never got one of those, I was on vacation in the South Pacific.)

Both Corvettes were sports cars and did not race in the same class as the Mopars.

If Wayne can get the suspension and engine right, the Corvette will pull away from Daves Mopar, again. I believe if you check, Waynes' Corvette owns the FAST record currently.

The last couple of years, the Hemi Cuda's have taken the biggest money for factory cars.
Richard Petty 200 wins, most were with the mighty Hemi:

Richard petty was the King and had a career that may never be rivaled by anyone. But according to his own stats, he won most of his races during the Hemi years:
1966--8 wins
1967--27 wins
1968--16 wins
1969--10 wins (Ford year)
1970--18 wins
1971--21 wins

Subtotal--100 wins
Subtract the 10 Ford wins in '69

Total-- 90 wins

Nearly half of his 200 wins during his 34 year career (1958-1992) were during the Hemi years. ('69 was the Ford year)

1971 was the last year of the Hemi and 1972 was the year the small block rule was implemented

1972--8 wins
1973--6 wins
1974--10 wins
1975--13 wins
1976--3 wins
1977--5 wins

Total--45 wins

Twice as many wins during the Hemi years. Great match---Petty and the Hemi cars..

I got that info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Petty#The_1960s

Scroll down for his racing career by year..................

And for the pinnacle of muscle cars, look here:--- Hemi again,

http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm

The Hemi is the best performance design for several reasons. You can force other designs to run well, but performance is designed into the Hemi and folks seem to forget that the Street Hemi was highly de-tuned for street use, while the ZL1' and such were built up to compete with the Hemi.

Oh yeah---Top Fuel. Self explanatory.

There were fast Chevies and Fords, but as for who is the King, there is NO comparison to what the Hemi design has accomplished over the years.... Oldschool
Mopar---"Built To Run--Here To Stay"
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

"The last couple of years, the Hemi Cuda's have taken the biggest money for factory cars." etc..

An offer for 5 million was turned down for one of 2-3 the remaining ZL1s, no cuda had gotten there yet.

In the current FAST racing Waynes L88 holds the records. Current tech, all the bells, whistles, tires, and Aerodynamics will probably keep it there.

If you will check in the 60s, Corvettes could not race heads up with Mopars in SS. Match type races only.

L88s and the ZL1s were the ones to try and beat on the streets.

Steel full bodied Hemis needed lots of help to get by those 2 Vettes. The exact same thing is currently happening in the FAST racing.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Not denying the L88's and ultra rare ZL1's were fast cars. But an offer is not a sale, and the 71 hemi vert was sold for $4.1 million and several Hemi Cuda's have eclipsed the 2 million mark. I could say someone offered me $150K for my car, but that isn't a sale.

Did you see the FAST vid link posted above? The FAST website shows Wayne's vette as the record holder at 10:59 ET. Maybe the website hasn't been updated to reflect the races shown above, but here is 3 of the Hemi Runner's times:

Race #1 vs Buick Stage One. RR won with 10.39 @129.84
Race #2 vs Buick Stage One. RR won with 10.38 @ 129.99
Race #3 vs Vette RR won with 10.27 @ 129.88

All 4 of the Hemi Runner's times were quicker than the 10.59 shown as the record being held by Wayne's vette.

I agreed with your statement about the street Hemi's not always being the baddest machine on the streets, but remember that those were detuned engines and the L88's and ZL1's were full honkin' factory engines. Another bug-a-boo concerning the street hemi's was correct tuning. Most Hemi owners in the early days didn't have the knowledge to keep those beasts correctly tuned. When out of tune, they lost races with predictable regularity, but when tuned correctly, they were very tough to beat.

No flaming war wanted here, but it appears we don't agree on this one. :D Cheers Oldschool
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

I am pretty sure they allowed larger tires and Wayne had a bent valve in that shootout.

Ponder this:

YOU are in Year 1970 (last year before emissions started to hit)

You have a chance to get a free L88 Corvette (too few ZL1s around) or

a Free 1970 Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth anything.

Gosh, hard choice.. :lol:
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Bailiesdad wrote:I am pretty sure they allowed larger tires and Wayne had a bent valve in that shootout.

Ponder this:

YOU are in Year 1970 (last year before emissions started to hit)

You have a chance to get a free L88 Corvette (too few ZL1s around) or

a Free 1970 Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth anything.

Gosh, hard choice.. :lol:

HHmmmmm.... :roll: not following your logic entirely on the first statement..
Larger tires helps both cars, so no advantage there for the Runner. Bent valve? His FAST World record pass was 10:59, but he beat that mark on BOTH passes in this race. Wayne's first pass was 10:56 @ 126.82 and his second pass was 10:58 @ 126.39. He outran his previous world record by 13 hundredths. Seems he runs better with a bent valve? Wayne was a true sport about the outcome, and made no excuses. On that day, the Hemi Runner was the King, and established new low ET's for FAST racing.

As for the next statement about which car I would pick in 1970, you don't know me at all and that was an incorrect assumption on your part. Not a vette guy and never have been. I could have owned any vette I wanted over the years, but I am currently driving my 9th Hemi car. But one difference between you and myself is this: I have never went on a primarily vette site and talked about how great the Hemi cars are. I like all muscle cars, vette's included, but they aren't where I place my money.

YOU would have picked the vette, but you are a true vette guy, I would have picked a Hemi-whatever, because I am a Hemi guy---always have been.

Out of my 9 Hemi-cars, they have been everything from pure stock to race only cars. It has been my experience that in any races that I have ever run with any other make of car, if BOTH cars are built about the same, the Hemi wins, period.

Like I stated in an above post, it seems we disagree on this one. I have enjoyed the friendly banter, but it seems we won't be successful trying to sway each others opinion. You have your opinion about Hemi cars and where they fit in the musclecar hierarchy, and I have mine. Mine is simple: All things being equal, the Hemi is the overall best performance engine that has ever been designed. I would feel the same if the Bowtie boys, or the Blue Oval boys developed it. But they did not, and Mopar did, end of story..... Cheers.... :D Oldschool
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

"but you are a true vette guy" not exactly right. :D

currently owned toys:
1956 ChrisCraft Capri 426 stroked fuel injected 354 Hemi
1957 Hondo Flat bottom Boat Blown 460 inch (392 based)Hemi (about to go to new home)
1966 Plymouth 580 inch KB Hemi 5spd Gforce Dana tubs ect (faster than L88 or ZL1s)
1991 Lingenfelter ZR1 390 inch stroker motor, one of several he did, (like buzzing up to and over 200 every now and then),

this seems a tad weighted towards Hemis...

Plus I Putt around town in my Dually with a stinking 6cyl/6spd :D

(I always wanted an M1.)

FYI

I am not ashamed to admit I traded in a 1969 Hemi Blk/Blk 4spd dana Superbee in late 1969 because it would not keep up with the 67 L88 I traded to get. Street racing was at it best back then.

I never got beaten with the Vette, sold it in 1976. I ran lots of Hemis with it. I am just am willing to admit that those street Hemi cars were slugs and rarely ran real well. That was and is the legacy of the Chrysler Hemi street package.

Aftermarket factory prepped, or race only Hemis, with mucho tuning and fiddling, they ruled.

The L88 Vette came out of the dealer door roaring, 11s were very common with very little tuning. They were 2-2.5 grand more than the Mopars and lots of guys flat out could not swing the money to purchase one. 5800-6000 was the 88s price range.

We are talking days of 6.50 per hour paint labor, 16-18 per hour mech labor, 29 dolar all over enamel paint jobs, 600 dollar full, stripped to bare metal and painted with multiple coats of laquer, custom metal flake and flame paint jobs... hand rubbed to a glass shine.

Remember? 200-300 bucks a week and you were a KING. btdt

I can not for the life of me understand why guys nowdays want to recreate or restore a street hemi car that had bugs and problems keeping runing when brand spanking new.

AH well, each to their own, at least the FAST guys "fudge" the motors big time to get the numbers down. I think one of them will be in the 9s next year if not both.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

"this seems a tad weighted towards Hemis..."

At least you ain't all bad....lol

"The L88 Vette came out of the dealer door roaring, 11s were very common with very little tuning."

Again I post the link to an unbiased 1/4 mile list of North America's fastest cars.
The first L88 Corvette that makes an appearance on the list comes in at 13:56. This test was done by Hot Rod Magazine. There are eight 426 Hemi cars ahead of that L88 on the list. The fastest of the "stock" Street Hemi's was the '70 Hemi-Cuda at 13:1. Again, this isn't my opinion, but an unbiased documentation of quickest ET's in the 1/4 mile. The Hemi tests were done by Muscle Car Review and Car Craft. All testing was done by independant magazines.

http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm

"I can not for the life of me understand why guys nowdays want to recreate or restore a street hemi car that had bugs and problems keeping runing when brand spanking new."

These cars have been around for 40 years and the bugs have been made common knowledge and how to correct these and keep them tuned has also become common enough that an experienced Hemi owner can keep it running great in his backyard shop. That wasn't the case in the '60's and '70's. The Hemi was more than most backyard mechanics could handle. The biggest reason folks want to recreate or restore is the return on their investment. Well done clones bring good money. #'s matching Hemi's are almost unattainable by most folks, so they pay good money for well done clones.

"AH well, each to their own, at least the FAST guys "fudge" the motors big time to get the numbers down. I think one of them will be in the 9s next year if not both."

At last, we are in total agreement on an issue... lol
Racers are racers, and if there is ANY way to bend the rules to gain a performance advantage, they will figure it out.... High 9's soon, then mid 9's, then low 9's, then high 8's.....and so it goes............. :D Oldschool
scottm

Post by scottm »

The HEMIs win. My forums, my call. :P