Desoto 273V8

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

nvella

Desoto 273V8

Post by nvella »

Hi,

I have a 1956 DEsoto with a LA 273 V8 in it and im about to lift it out to give it a well overdue rebuild. Just wondering if anyone would know the hoisting points of the engine and if so please post them or send them to asuwld@bigpond.net.au.

Cheers

Nathan
speedicusmaximus

Post by speedicusmaximus »

nvella,
There probably are "official" hoisting points on the engine. But if you can't get them, try Summit (or others) for a lifting plate that bolts on in place of the carb, using the carb's four bolt holes in the inlet manifold - I'm assunibf that you have a four-barrel carb.
This should be OK for your engine, it being a small block. If your taking out the engine WITH the gearbox, I'm not sure if it'll take the weight. Maybe someone else out there has some experience on this ?
Given the space and opportunity, I'd drop the engine and gearbox separately, as you'd stand less chance of hitting anything with them combined.
I've seen an alternative to the engine plate which incorporates a "bar", which enables the balance point of the whole thing to be found. Engine connects to bar via short chains, bar is connected to winch via a hook. Haven't a clue were to get them from though - sorry !
Mike
Beep ! Beep !
Tdesoto276

Another alternative

Post by Tdesoto276 »

Each of the heads has a hole tapped into them which can be used to attach the hoist & chain. The port side head has the hole in the rear edge, the starboard head has the hole on the front edge.