Distributor Conversion

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

satanherself

Distributor Conversion

Post by satanherself »

Trying to get the straight poop on this mystery. Im told that the 383/440 dizzys can be used ,but the rotation is an issue. That the samll block's (318 etc) can be used ,BUT the shaft is to short. My personal application is for a 54 desoto hemi. So other than the wrong direction on the 383/440 is everything else more or less a bolt in?? On the 318 ,,how short is the Shaft?? can a 383 and 318 dizzy be combined to get one that would work?? I know several folks offer conversion kits,,but no pix or info ,on what this conversion really is.
speedicusmaximus

Post by speedicusmaximus »

Hi,
Just to clarify, is this for an early Hemi conversion ? If so, there's several options, mostly involving the LA distributor and an independently produced intermediate/conversion shaft.
Try, in no particular order: Hot Heads Hemi's, Tex Smith's book, "The Complete Chrysler Hemi Engine Manaual", Mallory ignition systems, Jr. Thompson, Joe Hunt Magneto's, Taylor/Vertex ignitions, and I'm sure that there are others. Tex's book will give you the broadest information on this.
Good luck !
Mike :)
Beep ! Beep !
satanherself

Post by satanherself »

Yes early ,,and thanx :)
George

Post by George »

The "conversion kit" is a piece of tubeing that matches the o.d. of the shaft & 2 roll pins. If you have the original dizzy measure the lenth & extend the 318 to match, if not you will have to do some carefull measuring.