Hemi 273

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

nvella

Hemi 273

Post by nvella »

hey i have a Hemi 273 and i am rebuilding it i need to find a manual on the engine somewhere on the net, as i have taken off the leads and dont know which order they go back on! idiot Any help would be good

Thanks

Nathan
johnny5

Post by johnny5 »

I'm assuming you mean 276 hemi. The 273 is an LA small block. Regardless, the firing order is the same for all DPCD V8 motors from 1951-present day (can't vouch for 4.7L and newer electronic hemi motors):

speedicusmaximus

Post by speedicusmaximus »

Hi,
Tex Smith's book covers this. The common firing order is 18-43-65-72. Quick question ? Is yours a 270 or 276 ? I can't find any reference in TS's book to a 273 Hemi ? Give me the block number, and I can check for you.
Good luck,
Mike
:D
Beep ! Beep !
nvella

Blcok Number

Post by nvella »

The Block Number is A-273-7-1-1239 Hope thats some help

Nathan
speedicusmaximus

Hi,
Are there any other numbers on the block ? I ask cos those don't tie in with the information I have. The alpha-numeric coding should be three or four digits long. Occasionally five. If anyone else reads this, and can shed some light, I'd be grateful.
Mike :-?
Beep ! Beep !
nvella

Number

Post by nvella »

yeh thanks i can see one on the back of the block ill try and make that one out but that one was on the front of the block and i assumed it would be the engine number. Why is it so hard to find a Hemi 273 Spec?

Nathan
speedicusmaximus

Hi Nvella,
The book I have with engine block information, Tex Smith's Hemi book, covers all the early Hemi's. There is no mention of a 273 Hemi in Tex's book. A 270 and 276 Hemi, Yes. But no 273. What make is your Hemi, ie; Dodge, Plymouth, De Soto, etc ? Is it by any chance a Polysphere ? I don't profess to know everything on Hemi's, but I'll do my best for you.
Mike
Beep ! Beep !
George

Post by George »

There may be #s on a flat in front of the valley pan. There are #s between the head & valley pan, pass. side rear.