adapting a 5 speed or 6 speed

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

Gullwing

adapting a 5 speed or 6 speed

Post by Gullwing »

It appears that 99% of all of the early hemis were mated to an automatic. I would like to use mine with a standard shift tranny. I found that TR Waters makes an adapter plate to put a 833 4-speed on the motors. Does anyone know how I would go about mating a modern Tremac T-5 or T-56? Apparently you need to get a 426 hemi flywheel and a late model pilot bearing converter for the crank. I can use a hydraulic clutch set up and the shifter is integral so I guess what I really need to know is whether the adapter plate will work with other trannies and whether the Tremac input shaft is long enough, has the right spline count etc.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Contact Keisler Auto at 1-865-609-8187 or go to www.keislerauto.com . They have 5 and 6 speed Tremec kits for the smallblock Mopars which should bolt up to the early hemi engines once you have the adapter setup for the 833 4 speed.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
DLO392

Post by DLO392 »

try Hot Heads Research and Development at www.hothemiheads.com they have bellhousing adapters and fly wheels along with tons of other Hemi stuff
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Adaptor plates from long time FULLTIME business , Rodger at Wilcap in CA has any adaptor plates time proven over the years or will custom make one to fit exactly your setup, not sell you a generic one size may fit some.

Transmissions:

strong Richmond (DNE copy) street
stronger Doug Nash Street version DNE2 4+1 double diamond stamped
strongest http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com, several choices

remember a Hemi has a little more torque than a chevy or sb mopar, Keisers are not even in the same class as those above and if you want to shift it positively and quick, LONG from G-Force is tha hands down absolute BEST. PLUS it looks COOL.
steve392

Post by steve392 »

I know this post has been up for a while, but I'll share my setup:

My 392 is mated up to a Tremec TKO 600 this way:
Adapter plate from Tom Waters for manual trans. Included was the crank flange adapter that houses pilot bearing. I got a roller bearing for the Tremec and sent it off to Tom to install in the adapter.
Clutch/flywheel package is McLeod StreetTwin #64402-07. Flywheel is steel 8-bolt 130 tooth for '63 thru '72 426 Hemi. Clutch discs are 1 1/8-26 spline to match up to the Tremec input shaft.
Bellhousing is Lakewood #15320 for sb mopar. Modified for use with Tremec trans.
Trans is mod # TCET5008 (Ford version) 4 speed with 5th o.d. ratio of .64.
Throwout bearing is McLeod hydraulic slip-on style #1400-30 with #1439 spacer.
I purchased the trans, clutch, and bellhousing from Keisler auto. If I had to do it over again, I would buy it all directly from Mcleod...
Fit-up of all compoments went well, only thing that needed tweeking was that inside of bellhousing near starter "bulge" had to be ground down slightly to clear the floater arms on twin disc clutch. The spacer also had to be trimmed down slightly to give the recommended clearance between throwout bearing and clutch diaphragm. Input shaft was correct length and mated up with pilot bearing just fine.
I'm finishing up the engine build up now, don't have it in my Willys yet so I can't give you any drivability report.

Hope this helps,

Steve
just passin' thru
speedicusmaximus

Post by speedicusmaximus »

Hi Steve,
Nice set up !
How long before you get the willys on the road ?
Mike :D
Beep ! Beep !
steve392

Post by steve392 »

Hi Mike,
It will be quite a while yet...I took delivery of the body and frame from Outlaw Performance last October, and it is still a bare chassis/body right now. I wanted to finish up the engine/drivetrain before I start the rest of the car. Rear is a Dana 60 Powr-lok with 3.73 gears.

Steve
just passin' thru
speedicusmaximus

Post by speedicusmaximus »

Hi Steve,
Sounds cool !
Drop the 'site some pictures as you go along. I'm sure we'd all be interested to see the progress. If you're not sure how, send them direct to Scott, the 'sites mentor, and he can post them for you on this thread.
Good luck !
Mike 8)
Beep ! Beep !
steve392

Visit my project journal for Hemi buildup

Post by steve392 »

Go here:

www.hotrodders.com

On the home page click on "project journals".

Scroll down to bottom of screen and click on link to "show all journals".

Scroll down list until you come to my journal (steve392).

Once at my journal, click on "view from beginning".

I have my complete Hemi buildup shown here including the flywheel/clutch setup shown.

Right now, its easier to show all my pictures there than posting them here.

Steve
just passin' thru
mr fabrication

Post by mr fabrication »

you may also want to try dark horse performance. I got my kit there for my hemi .a T56 six speed came with everything i needed even hydraulic clutch set up.