Hemi heads

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

Chuck

Hemi heads

Post by Chuck »

I have always thought the the hemi heads were made by Chysler but I was told that ford haad made the heads for the hemi is this true or is the person just talking out of his hat :P ?
scottm

Post by scottm »

There might have been confusion in what was being said.
Chrysler had hemi heads, but they were not the only ones.
Ford also made hemi head engines, notably the Boss 429.
The point might have been that Chrysler was not the only
manufacturer to have produced hemi head engines.
Chuck

Hemi Heads

Post by Chuck »

No I was told that ford made the heads for the Chyrsler 426 hemi and I thought that Chysler made there own heads for that motor. :P
scottm

Post by scottm »

I have never heard of that before, and I would doubt it. :)
Chuck

hemi heads

Post by Chuck »

Can you give me the email addy of someone who knows for sure who actualy made the heads?.....Or can you give me the email addy from someone from the factory so I can email them and ask them for sure and I can prove this guy wrong who worked for Ford and told me that Ford made the heaads for the 426 hemi? thanks :P
Chuck

Hemi Heaads

Post by Chuck »

I just had another thought if you don't want to give out the email addy could you email them for me and post there responce here thanks for your time. :D
scottm

Post by scottm »

I do not have any factory contacts. I survive with
press releases and the general industry rumors. :)

Of all the materials and people that I have talked to,
nothing has ever been said about Ford making the
426 Hemi heads. Ask the person who told you this
to share some of his proof. That'd be interesting.
centerline

Post by centerline »

I don't know who told you Ford had anything to do with the Chrysler 426 but they were just plain wrong. Anyone who knows the history of the 426 knows the heads were designed by Chrysler and manufactured by them. The block started out in '64 as a 426 wedge motor and after testing at Daytona some structural changes were made to help the bottom end.

Ford had nothing to do with Chrysler's hemi. They did, however copy the design in the late 60's for the 429 NASCAR motor. Guess they were tired of getting their butts whipped at the track.
Spence40

Post by Spence40 »

There was no way that any of the big three automakers would work together on engine development back in the 60's . The competition in NASCAR was fierce back then , each trying to outdo the other , with a cubic inch limit of 430 back then , the wedge motors of Ford and GM were topped by the 426 Hemi . NASCAR's rule of production numbers (500) units ,left a lot of hi-po stuff for the pro drag racers and the street versions were a dirt cheap way to enjoy horsepower. "Winning on Sunday ,sells cars on Monday" , an old Henry Ford adage was dropped in the late 60's from pressure by the feds.I think it is BACK !!
Chuck

Hemi Heads

Post by Chuck »

I talked to the guy who is trying to tell me that Ford made the Hemi Heads. Now he is trying to tell me that Chysler had trouble with the heads blowing off the Motor he says that Chysler went to Ford about the trouble and Ford gave them them the answer to there trouble of there heads blowing off the motor and gave them the new head design for the heads. Is this true or is he lieing through his teeth cause he used to work for Ford? :-?
centerline

Post by centerline »

I would stay away from this guy because he's a bold faced liar. I think he's getting his jollys by yanking your chain. Tell him he's full of (whatever you like) and forget him, he's bad news.
IndustrialHemiGuy

Post by IndustrialHemiGuy »

Chuck, Tell your informant that he is confused or senile in his old age, I think what really happened was, Chrysler made Fords first hemi heads, and they made so much power that Fords block & crank discintegrated, thus, the heads fell off the Ford!!!!!! :o He only Wishes that Ford had anything to do with the superior Chrysler Hemi. Very Few Ford shotguns as they called them exhist because they were poorly designed!! I personally wittnessed the fatal ending of one at a tractor pull in Hildreth Nebr. There wasnt anything left to repair. Chevrolet recently sold a corvette model with a 350/hemi head, they wisely didnt use their own short block assembly. They purchased their motors from a marine plant and added about $25,000.00 to the price of the car. When Chrysler made the new hemi for the Dodge pickup they added about $720.00 to the pricetag!!!!!! :D Dean :D
55 Dodge truck 331 Hemi,59 Dodge 2wd 354 Hemi,w/howards cam(HOT ROD!!!). 59 Dodge Power Wagon 331 Hemi (A TRUE POWER WAGON). 1975 Dodge Bighorn semi tractor LOTS & LOTS of Industrial Hemis, 2 Dodge Hemis, 3 DeSoto Hemis, 392,331,Firepowers
panic

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
panic

origin of hemi heads

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
GWright

I have proof!

Post by GWright »

You got that backwards! The Dodge brothers made all of Henry Ford's parts, until they realized that they would do better to make their own line of trucks. It was the incredible quality of the Dodge brothers parts that made Fords such popular automobiles. I can PROVE it. Check the following links.
http://www.meadowbrookhall.org/fieldtri ... meline.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~pearsond/brothers.htm
There are more, just search google...
z06corvette427

Post by z06corvette427 »

your informant is full of crap. Dodge might not have invented the hemi head but they made it popular, Ford just modified the design some more for their 429 semi-hemi. I saw actual footage of the guy they call "the father of the 426 hemi" and he talked about the changes they made to the 426 wedge, and the alterations from the early hemi designs. I also so some endurance testing, and i have never heard of heads blowing off the engines. Chrysler was using a hemi for about 10 years before Ford ever tried it.

I just wish I could remember the name of that Chrysler engineer

Post by Guest »

Me Thinks That Would Be Tom Hoover..
dodgedifferent2

Post by dodgedifferent2 »

no he is the founder of the great 426 hemi but there is also two other guys that founded the chrysler hemi's of the fifties...... i cant get the name to my mind right now but i do have a website with it but i cant get into the site right now.. but there are 2 desigeners of the 331
Headgames

Mixed up history

Post by Headgames »

Chrysler did a great deal of work with hemi head engines in WWII, but it wasn't until the early '50s that they applied their knowlege to automotive engines. In the meantime a hemi head was made to fit the flathead ford. These ArDun heads were designed at least in part by Zora Arkus Duntov at Ford.
When Chrysler began developing hemi heads for inline sixes they recruited a number of guys who had worked on the ArDun heads. Together, using the knowlege of both Chrysler and the ArDun designers, they developed the early hemi engines.
There's no other relationship between these early stages of hemi development and the later 426 hemi, and Boss 429 Fords, than the fact that the guys who designed them built on the earlier successes of the guys from their own companies who came before them.
It may seem convoluted, but remember: in the '40s and '50s automotive technology was what we might consider rocket science, or nano-technology, pretty heady stuff. There weren't a lot of top-level engineers around, and the Big Three were more than willing to steal the best ones along with their ideas.
Of course, now that I think about it, they still do...
MG42pillbox

Post by MG42pillbox »

:o I can not believe people are so ignorant they are telling others that Ford Made Hemi Heads for Chrysler..... what is this world comming from.
One whose life is Infecting others with Falsehood, shall fall greater than any of their Victims.
dodgedifferent2

i forgot about this thread but i did find the names of the designers for the early hemi *aka 331 HEMI* and they were James Zeder and Ev Moeller
MG42pillbox

Post by MG42pillbox »

dodgedifferent2 wrote:i forgot about this thread but i did find the names of the designers for the early hemi *aka 331 HEMI* and they were James Zeder and Ev Moeller
Dont forget Tom Hoover, He worked on all 3 generation Hemis!
One whose life is Infecting others with Falsehood, shall fall greater than any of their Victims.
dodgedifferent2

ya tom desingned the 426 though
dodgedifferent2

3rd generation i am not sure of.....3rd generation would be the 345 (5.7L) right?
MG42pillbox

Post by MG42pillbox »

dodgedifferent2 wrote:ya tom desingned the 426 though
Evolvement with All 3 Generations