Weird noise when towing

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

dave

Weird noise when towing

Post by dave »

I just purchased a Ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi engine 2 weeks ago to tow my 2900 lb boat. The towing power is ok, but on uphill, the engine makes a funny sound continuously during its course, similar to the sound of a small motor of a mopad. I brought it back to the dealersip and took it for a test drive towing the boat with the service manager, but was told that this sound is normal for hemi engines. I am definitely not convinced with his explanation. Is this normal? Would greatly appreciate a response.
Bruno

Weird noise when towing

Post by Bruno »

I have an 04 and tow a 24 ft. travel trailer and mine makes the same sound I think it might have something to do with the air intake volume and the muffler volume, they put a resonator on the 04 because of people complaining of exhaust drone, I think it sounds better without it. They use the same muffler on all the engines 3.7,4.7,5.7,and the 5.9 in 02 with the exception of the Cummins 5.9. I would'nt be worried about it .I like the sound it makes over anything else I've ever owned.Eventually I'll put on an Aero-Turbine 3030 muffler. :Dhttp://www.aero-turbine.com
2004 RAM QC,SB,20's,4X4,3.92's ATLANTIC BLUE HEMI