Do all hemis make a ticking sound, sort of like a bad lifter

Discussion about the Hemi in general.

Moderator: scottm

carolegrant1

Post by carolegrant1 »

I notice my engine makes a ticking sound, sort of like a bad lifter. Do all hemis do that? My service manager says that's normal for a hemi engine, but I wondered what another pro knows about it. Thanks!
pd171

Re: Do all hemis make a ticking sound, sort of like a bad li

Post by pd171 »

carolegrant1 wrote:I notice my engine makes a ticking sound, sort of like a bad lifter. Do all hemis do that? My service manager says that's normal for a hemi engine, but I wondered what another pro knows about it. Thanks!
I am no pro but mine makes a ticking sound at idle.
05 Magnesium Pearl 300C
archie hebert

hemi noise @ idle

Post by archie hebert »

Just bought my son a new Dodge truck with the Hemi for his graduation present, runs very quiet no ticking sounds truck has 500 miles on it might start later on have a good one :lol:
johnwmt

Post by johnwmt »

yes they all make this sound check out post called tap-tapII
DELTUFFO

Post by DELTUFFO »

I used to have a Race Hemi in my 82 St Regis, what a sleeper that car was.

It did tick quite a bit, probaly the Hemi chamber working it's magic.
Tough? Yeah, tough enough.
mart

Post by mart »

Hemi chambers do not inherently make a ticking sound. A hemi or any engine engine with a solid lifeter cam will make a slight ticking noise - even when the valve clearence is set to proper specs, but that has nothing to do with the engine having hemi heads on it.
I assume you have a new 5.7 "hemi". These use hydralic roller cams and there should be no noticible ticking. Your service manager is service you alright. Just like a farmer services his cows! He's blowing smoke up your a**, by telling you "it's normal" or that it's because "it's a hemi". You probably do have a bad lifter, bad cam or other valvetrain problem. Could be something else too - a rod bearing problem, a wrist pin problem or excessive piston clearence. Either way it's not normal and should be fixed now, while the engine is still on warrenty, or it will come back to bite you in an expensive way later on.

mart
fast5800pdhemi

Post by fast5800pdhemi »

i own a 2003 5.7 hemi i have 50000 miles on my truck it has always made a ticking sound since i bought it in febuary of 03 when it had 2 miles on it
OldIron

Post by OldIron »

I would ask the service dept about it to be safe but alot of engines will make a slight ticking at times. It could even be an accessory pulley.
HemiKELLY

Post by HemiKELLY »

mine makes the ticking sound too. I have 32,000 on it
2003 Ram QC 1500 4X2 - K&N air filter, spray in bedliner, nerf bars, Trans temp gauge
Bruno

Ticking sound

Post by Bruno »

I have an 04 QC HEMI with 7000 on it and it does it every now and then what I do is give the serpentine belt a little shot of WD-40 and it's gone I don't know if it will work for everyone, but it works fine for me.
2004 RAM QC,SB,20's,4X4,3.92's ATLANTIC BLUE HEMI
jbirwin

Repair to the infamous Hemi Ticking

Post by jbirwin »

New to this forum. I had the same problem with my 03 Hemi Ram. After two years of going from dodge dealer to dodge dealer hearing the same old reply " that is normal for Hemi's" and " The Hemi has loud injectors" I finally got a peice of correct diagnosis to the problem the exhaust valves were bad. Took my truck in to get fixed and wala no ticking! Most dealers for some reason are either ignorant to diagnosing the problem or just plain dont want to work on the problem since it is costly and takes four or five days to repair. I recommend if you have this problem take it in to get repaired under your 7/70,000 before you have to pay out of pocket. Believe me this is a costly repair job. :lol:
2003 Hemi Ram 1500
Kathy

Hemi ticking noise here too!

Post by Kathy »

I just bought a new Dodge Durango a few months ago and also just started hearing ticking in the engine I thought sounded like lifter noise. Atleast that is how I explained it to the service department when I put it back into the shop. And yes I either get the same response...it is a hemi...or CND...meaning Can Not Duplicate. Seems it must be all in my head. Yea right, but hey I think they may be thinking that. I also have had it stall on me a few or so times. Still the Dodge dealer CND! But they did change a filter and said that is what Chrysler told them to do. You never know it might work! I think the service department has had my new car longer then I have. I don't think anyone knows what really is going on with the Hemi's. And to think I just got rid of my Dodge Intrepid (with 65,000 miles on it) because of the sludg and the engine problems. I really hate to think I screwed up again.
jbirwin

Post by jbirwin »

Kathy sorry to hear that. The ticking in the engine believe it or not is normal. I had my exhaust valve replaced and for about a week or two the sound was gone and they ended up re-appearing. I myself thought that was not normal for a high performanmce machine to do. I have learned the reason why it ticks is not due to a defect but because you do have a hemispherical head. The downfall of this is with these new hemis they are not like the old four valve per cylinder hemis of the past, and believe me those sounded worse than the new ones( the ticking was like that of a sewing machine) The new hemis are actually designed off of a concept from the old ford 426 hemis with two valves to each cylinder. The ticking you hear is because the air intake valve and exhaust valve are directly across from one another. When the air intake valve seats the exhaust valve opens and the ticking you are hearing is the echoe from the air intake valve seating. That is why you normally hear it underneath the drivers side of the car. About your car stalling not sure what that is but I know when I drove my hemi ram off the lot in 2003 I had that problem once during my break in period and it has not returned yet. Hopefully this long paragraph helped you out a bit.
2003 Hemi Ram 1500
Johndevroede

Ticking sound

Post by Johndevroede »

I have,..or had, the same problem. My Ram 1500 with Hemi engine always had a ticking sound somewhere on the right side. Now with 35000 KM (not miles) the whole engine is damaged. I think the ticking sound had something to do with it. Nobody knows. One cilindre stopped working and oil comes out of the engine. The car is 16 months old,..so no guarantee.
Any suggestions? Or tips? don't hesitate to contact me. Regards, John de Vroede (j.devroede@marketingxperts.nl / j.devroede@debedenkers.nl)