Hesitation After Reversing

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

HappyKillMore

Hesitation After Reversing

Post by HappyKillMore »

Hey guys, I think I remember having read about some people having had this problem, but I couldn't find any threads on this when I looked.

Two times this week, I've backed out of a parking space or my driveway, put it in drive, and kinda sat there. The engine labors, the body shudders a little bit. Then I give it some more gas. It waits for a period of time longer than the usual acceleration delay, then everything smoothes out, and the truck leaps forward.

As I say, I could swear that I've read about this problem before, but not recently enough that I can recall any details. Has anyone had this problem? What was the fix?
firefighter6526

Post by firefighter6526 »

Yeah I have had the same prob. It happens when you shift from R to D, on mine it feels like it drops 4 cylinders. Mine has only done it twice in 5000 mi. I have to shut it off and then restart. There is a post of it on moparchat.com(ram truck chat) where several others discuss the same thing. The TSB# is 18-005-03, I have not had mine fixed yet but I took it to the dealer and he said he had not seen the TSB or even heard of the problem, and of course I left home without the TSB# so I'll have to make another trip. I'm sure it's just a glitch in the computer and i hope my local dealer has a competent service tech to do it right the first time.
03' Quad Cab 2wd 5.7 HEMI(Bug Luv'n White)
03' Accord EX(Silver Bullet)
96' Protege(My Ecofriendly Beat'r)
1 Hag
2 Rats
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

Thanks Fire. I feel better knowing that I'm not crazy and that this does happen to others.

I checked out the Moparchat, like you suggested. Looks like one person at least has had a really bad time!

I also looked up the TSB number you gave me (18-005-03B). It says specifically, and I'll copy and paste it here, "THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 10-005-03A, DATED APR. 25, 2003 CHANGES INCLUDE REMOVAL OF DR VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.7L ENGINE..." Unfortunately, that means that this TSB doesn't apply to our trucks. There also isn't any text that specfically relates to a stumble after reversing. It's largely about the cruise control and shifting into/out of overdrive.

Maybe I'll call a dealer and see what they have to say about the problem.
firefighter6526

Hey Happ, let me know what your dealer has to say about it. I'd appreciate it. My dealer said he had never heard of the problem.
Not to get off of the subject but my cruise won't set after 85mph, will yours?
1 Hag
2 Rats
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

Good question-- I never tried that. I know it'll do 75 just fine. I'll try it out and get back to you.
kbuicker

Post by kbuicker »

Hey guys, yes in deed, this has happened to all of us practically.. mine too.. they replaced some sort of device which fixes the issue, your dealer SHOULD know what to do, if not, try another one.
Kevin
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

Fire, I tried the cruise control out today. I set it for 90 twice-- it just coasted down to 85 then started keeping speed.
firefighter6526

Kbuicker, what's the name of the dealer where you had yours fixed? I'll call them and see what the problem is and relay it to my dealer. I need to have some hard evidence or I'm afraid the dealer will give me the run-a-round. Thanks

Hey Happ, thanks for checking, I wonder if there is anything we can do about it? When I'm on the highway I routinely drive faster than 85, try running 85 around Atlanta or Mobile and you'll get run over by old ladies!!
1 Hag
2 Rats
firefighter6526

Hey Happ, I just looked at the TSB info and it mentions the reverse to drive shifting in the Symptoms/Condition section under REV B . I have no idea if it pertains to the Hemi or not. I guess I'll have to check with the dealer.
1 Hag
2 Rats
kbuicker

Post by kbuicker »

Hey FireFighter, it's McKinney Dodge, 800-272-7050
Kevin
wolfpack78

Post by wolfpack78 »

Any updates on this issue? Mine has done it a few times, but it's irritating when it does happen. The service guys here in NC aren't the most helpful.
wolfpack78

Post by wolfpack78 »

Alright - my truck did it again this morning. It almost died on me pulling out of my driveway. Any reason why it's doing this?