Just got a Hemi, looking for advice

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

Ritterkreuz

Just got a Hemi, looking for advice

Post by Ritterkreuz »

Hello all. A little over a week ago I became the proud owner of a brand new Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab SLT with the 5.7L Hemi. Its a big upgrade for me when you consider my previous car was a used 92 Lumina.

I was just wondering if there is any advice any of you wish to offer a new Hemi owner.
NASCAR Nextel Cup, the Greatest Sport Ever.
2004 Ram 4x4 1500 Quad Cab
5.7L Hemi, Sport Appearance package
firefighter6526

Post by firefighter6526 »

:lol: Save up for the following:

GAS, GAS, GAS, TIRES, GAS, OIL, GAS, TICKETS, GAS, INSURANCE, and uhhhhhhhhhh, oh yeah, GAS!!!!!

I really do luv my 03' Hemi, there's no comparison in power to my 01' Silverado the Hemi's the one with the big set'a hairy nutz!! But she loves to suck the bottom out of my wallet!

This is a great site for info, also check out moparchat it's great too!
centerline

Post by centerline »

I don't think they're that bad. My 03 Hemi Quad Cab 4x4 gets about 12 MPG around town. That's only about 1 MPG less than our '92 350 ci. 2wd Suburban got for 10 years. The biggest difference is that with the hemi I don't have to wait patiently for it to reach highway speeds like I did with the Chevy.
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

The 14mpg that I get would be easier on the wallet if I didn't have to drive 60 miles a day just to get to work and back. Plus, there's the trips into town when we need something that we can't find in Bastrop (at least there's a Home Depot and a Wal-Mart in town).

I'd also suggest keeping an eye out for that brake shudder, and get it fixed as soon as it shows up. Check back through the other threads to see what I'm talking about.

Oh, and if you're actually going to use the bed to haul anything, get a spray-in bedliner, if you haven't already.
boss_hoss

Post by boss_hoss »

You kept saying save up for gas, save up for gas. Guys remeber, we all could drive around in 2.0L four bangers and get great mileage but we would also be driving 2.0L four bangers.

When you think about how much gas you're using, just remember that you also have 345 horse and 375lb-ft of torque at your disposal. How many 4 bangers can say that?
Ritterkreuz

Post by Ritterkreuz »

firefighter6526, you mentioned insurrance. It actually costs ledd to insure the new truck than it does my wife's '99 Sunfire.

From all that I've read, fuel economy seems to be the only issue. DO you guys us 87 or 89 octane fuel?
centerline

Post by centerline »

HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

Boss_hoss, you could get a Lancer Evolution and be putting out close to the same rear wheel numbers as the Hemi Rams, with a 2.0L. And that's stock. But then you wouldn't have the truck bed, or the large amount of steel to protect you in an accident. If I'd wanted rice though, I'd have bought rice.

I think we're all just trying to make the point that gas for this thing is a substantial cost of ownership. Yeah, sure, I whine about spending over $200 a month on gas, but it is a fun truck to drive, and I only occasionally miss my old '97 Z28 (with its better mileage and much better acceleration).
rami

Post by rami »

My HEMI drinks 89 octane also.
2004 QC Sport, 20's, 3:92, Leather, Rhino Spray In Liner, Snugtop Snuglid, Add on XM radio tuner!
firefighter6526

:lol: Ditto Happy, When I bought the truck I was expecting the milage to be at least somewhat near what my silverado ran( it's a 5.3 ltr ), because I trusted the MPG sticker on the window.............OOPS!!!. I was getting almost 80 more miles per tank and it was also a 25gal tank. I do love the truck though. The computer gauged mpg is usually wrong, I often have to reset it from a dead stop to get a reading close to what I calculate the good old fashioned way! Usually 12.3 to 12.7 round town and it really jumps up there to 13.3 when mostly highway miles and I only use 89 Exxon or other major brand!! Maybe the fact it was built on a Monday has somthing to do with it, who really wants to bust their butt on a Monday when your nursing a hangover!! It runs strong, straight, and true just like it should at 4100 miles.

By the way, does anyone know where to pick up a set of 20's for less than $150 a piece?
03' Quad Cab 2wd 5.7 HEMI(Bug Luv'n White)
03' Accord EX(Silver Bullet)
96' Protege(My Ecofriendly Beat'r)
1 Hag
2 Rats
WOODYSHEMI

Post by WOODYSHEMI »

firefighter6526 wrote::

By the way, does anyone know where to pick up a set of 20's for less than $150 a piece?
Yea! Got a lug wrench........ :o Ever heard a a five finger discount? :D

Seriously I doubt you get them that cheap........They cost $700 a piece at the Dodge dealer....... :o :o :o :o :o :o
2003 1500 QUAD CAB LARAMIE
HELL YEA ITS GOT A HEMI!!
MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXHAUST
Ritterkreuz

Post by Ritterkreuz »

WOODYSHEMI wrote:
firefighter6526 wrote::

Yea! Got a lug wrench........ :o Ever heard a a five finger discount? :D

Seriously I doubt you get them that cheap........They cost $700 a piece at the Dodge dealer....... :o :o :o :o :o :o
Glad I got the 17s.
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

Discount Tire has some Goodyear Eagle LS tires for $165. Those are S-rated tires. If you want a better speed rating, there's some Nittos for just over $200.
WOODYSHEMI

Post by WOODYSHEMI »

Were you lookin for tires or wheels or both? If you are lookin for both you might try Ebay. :)
MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXHAUST
firefighter6526

Woody, I'm just look'n for the rubber! I believe that coustomwheels.com has the goodyear eagle 275/55/20's for $144 at least they did last time I checked. I don't know what speed rating is probobly 90mph. :evil: 90 sucks, I'd like to see how fast I could get it to go at least once. When I cruze to Bilouxi I regularly break 90 but only by a mph or so, and usually for 20-30 minutes at a time as do many folks running I-10. :cry: I've been forced to drive my wifes Accord the past couple of times cuz I don't want to run my 20's at that speed for that long. I'm just gonna have to spring for the higher rated tires on my next set I guess.
1 Hag
2 Rats
firefighter6526

:) Hey Woody, I just read your sig, "where's the 345HP?" Try look'n in the drivetrain, I think they leave most of it there!!! :lol:
1 Hag
2 Rats
WOODYSHEMI

Post by WOODYSHEMI »

Yea! I believe it is stuck at the flywheel. I want to be able to put 345 HP on the ground. I almost put my Hemi on the dyno yesterday just to see what kind of hp it was putting to the ground. Has anyone checked there hemi to see? I found a place in Peachtree City Georgia that has a super nice dyno machine and if you go on Saturdays they will run it on the dyno for $50 to see what your hp is at the rear wheels. It is really exciting to go and watch. They had a Ferrari (hope I spelled it right) there yesterday and it was putting 277hp on the ground........Man that thing was awesome! The guy I talked to said he has not had a Hemi on the dyno yet.....Maybe I could be the first..... :wink:
MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXHAUST
firefighter6526

That's cool, I wish there was one near me. Your gonna keep us posted right! I'd like to see the numbers myself. What part of Georgia is Peachtree located? For that matter where are you at? It doesn't sound like we're too far from each other. I'm located in the southeast corner of AL about 20 minutes from both FL and GA. Hell if it's not too far I might road trip-it just to see :o it for myself!!
1 Hag
2 Rats