2004 HEMI Exhaust

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

boss_hoss

2004 HEMI Exhaust

Post by boss_hoss »

I am currently awaiting delivery of an 04 Ram 1500 2dr HEMI. I want to get a nice deep loud rumble out of the thing and was wondering if I should replace just the muffler or go with a cat-back system. I want to try to get away with just a muffler, as a cat-back system is too much dough.

What muffler would be a good choice, flowmaster 40 or 50 series? I looked on the flowmaster site and no 40 series muffler came up for the dodge hemi ram, just 50 series.

And would this be a direct replacement for the existing muffler? i.e would I be able to just bolt up the new muffler in place of the old one keeping the old piping?
YoureAboutToFindOut

Flowmaster #9530560

Post by YoureAboutToFindOut »

The tech people at Flowmaster recommend part #9530560, a 50 series muffler, rather than one of their generic 40 or 50 series items. Presumably the Hemi needs this particular muffler to have the proper back pressure. I agree with boss_hoss on the cat-back price, as new tailpipe plumbing isn't going to improve performance to any significant degree and the sound will be the same either way. (assuming you're going to stay with a one-into-one system) A local shop installed a 50 series on my Dakota a couple of years ago (keeping the original head and tailpipes) for $25 (that's just for the install, folks!) and I was very happy with it, and am going to do the same for my new Hemi when my 9530560 comes in next week. I'll let everyone know how that works.
boss_hoss

Post by boss_hoss »

YoureAboutToFindOut please keep me posted on how the 50 series sounds on the HEMI. I'm more than likely gonna do the same thing.
YoureAboutToFindOut

Had Flowmaster Hemi Muffler Installed

Just got home from getting the Flowmaster #9530560 put on my Ram, and as boss_hoss wanted to hear about it, here goes:
It's quiet!!! It doesn't put out nearly the sound that the 50 series did on my 4.7 Dakota. Don't get me wrong...it is much better than stock and has a low rumble that is a noticable improvement, but it isn't about to set off any car alarms. It's just a little too mellow for my tastes. I opted to leave the resonator in place, and that's probably the reason. I'll no doubt have it removed in short order! I'll give a progress report once I've had that done.
BennysHEMI

Muffler

Post by BennysHEMI »

I recommend a MagnaFLOW. I currently have the largest one available(70 series) and it produces a nice deep sound(only when you floor it). A friend installed a Borla, but not as nice as the MagnaFlow.
boss_hoss

Post by boss_hoss »

Thanks YoureAboutToFindOut for the report, I'm looking for more of a deep rumble that will set off car alarms, maybe I'll check out that magnaflow.
WOODYSHEMI

Post by WOODYSHEMI »

I have the magnaflow and it is not loud enough for me. I say if you want to set off car alarms go with the flowmaster 40 series. I know a guy that has it on a regular cab with the hemi and it is BADASS............ :o
2003 1500 QUAD CAB LARAMIE
HELL YEA ITS GOT A HEMI!!
MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXHAUST
floridahemi

Post by floridahemi »

to go with magnaflow, is there a specific muffler that goes with hemi? i know flowmaster does, but maybe someone out there knows that you might get more hp or mpg with a certain one....
robotech

MAGNAFLOW

Post by robotech »

I have 2004 1500SLT 5.7Hemi SC Long Bed 4x4; I just had a custom stainless steel dual exhaust installed. 2 Stainless MagnaFlow mufflers (14326) on the 2 stainless catalytic converters that came stock, which are free flowing. Complete with MagnaFlow chrome stainless steal tips (35113).

MagnaFlow gets my vote for Price - out the door for $410, Sound - Deep Tone while idling, even better when cruising. When I open the powerful 5.7L Hemi, with 2 Magnaflow mufflers, It could part the Red Sea!! Man do the heads turn!, Performance - nothing to compare with, she just gets up & goes. Gas Mileage - 2+MPG. To see and hear the exhaust on the 5.7 hemi go to my site & check out the LINKS http://dtw.truckmoxie.com/mygallery.ten?id=6952
Last edited by robotech on Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
YoureAboutToFindOut

Flowmaster Update

Just to share my experience with the Flowmaster #9530560 Hemi muffler. When I first installed it I kept the resonator in place, and I previously reported that it was entirely too quiet. I have since removed the resonator, and now it's alarm triggering, window-rattling loud... sounds excellent!