Latest Issue of Popular Hot Rodding

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

scottm

Latest Issue of Popular Hot Rodding

Post by scottm »

The latest issue of Popular Hot Rodding has an
article about the new 5.7L Hemi... "Hello Hemi!".

None of the stores in my area seem to carry the
magazine and I do not want to get a subscription.

Can anyone send me a copy? Scan that article?
I will pay for the magazine, shipping and your time.
(Or you can be so nice and donate it to me... :) )
KingoftheHill

Post by KingoftheHill »

Scott I located this magazine and will copy this entirely free of charge and will mail it to your home.March 2004 issue volume 44,No#3. :D
Last edited by KingoftheHill on Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 SLT Quad Cab,2x2,Hemi,3.92 ratio,CST 4"Lift,Ultra 17 inch Eagles,33x12.50/17 BajaClaw Radials,Bushwacker OE Fenderflares Bushwacker bedrails.
DeSoto T

Try this

Post by DeSoto T »

scottm

Post by scottm »

KingoftheHill, thank you very much!
I cannot wait to dig into that article.

DeSoto T, thank you very much, too.
Not quite sure how I missed that. :)
94bird

Post by 94bird »

Just wanted to correct one thing in the article. There is no accumulator groove in the 2nd land to keep the top ring seated. What the arrow points to is a J-groove in the 3rd land, just below the 2nd ring. This j-groove is there to allow some oil accumulation volume and keep the 2nd ring from unseating from the bore as early. This helps control oil consumption. You will commonly see a j-groove used with a RBT (reverse bevel twist) as this engine has.

Also wanted to say, 1.2mm steel top rings are becoming quite common in pass car engines. The 5.7L has a 1.5mm ductile iron top ring because it has to pass truck durability and the wider axial width helps give the ring more area to better resist wear. A pass car durability cycle is not as demanding so it's easier to get by with a thinner ring.