Is it a Hemi or a nightmare?

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

FastD

Is it a Hemi or a nightmare?

Post by FastD »

I've heard a lot of scary stuff about the new Hemi...like it can't ever be "rebuilt" and the computer doesn't allow any more performance tuning...but the worst is if you have a problem with the motor that needs the removal of the heads (or maybe valve covers) that the dealer is just to pull the motor and replace the whole thing.
Now, my deal is if cylinder walls are that thin that they can't be bored out that sounds like a weak block to me. Anyway, just confused. Later. :-?

This is all what I heard and in no way should be considered the gospel!
mnc2886

Post by mnc2886 »

Well, I went to an admission's place by my house and they said that a real hemi will not pass emitions because of what it puts off from the combustion. That is why the hemi went out of production. They said it isn't a real hemi, and if it was, it would not pass unless it was a class B or C car. That means, it doesn't have to pass smog. I personally am a little disappointed in the new "hemi" for several reasons. On the other hand, once the problems are worked out, remember that everything new will have problems at first, it will be a great motor. It is quite efficient compared to ford and chevy. Not to mention, it still has more power, don't give a crap what those ford commercials say. Man, that commercial pisses me off. The dyno shows it to be weaker, but yet they said most torque. GAY, just plain GAY. I hate ford, always will. Performance my butt, take off that blower and watch it blow. Sorry, but I had to vent. Anyways, I would agree with the notion of a weak block, but you can't say for sure until you see how it runs after 100,000 miles. I hope dodge can find a way to make a real hemi one of these days, till then, dodge is still the most powerful. I'd really like to see dodge make a new charger with a 440 big block if they can't use a hemi. It wont happen, but it would be nice. Maybe a unrestricted 360, 340, or 318. Anyways, who knows what SRT will roll out with. Time will tell all.
chevy38fan

Post by chevy38fan »

the heads aren't as really hemispherical as they were in the development stages of the new 5.7 but they are more hemispherical than any other engine out there. hence the 2nd spark plug.. to burn off what wasn't burned originally to help emissions. that's right.. all the unburned fuel that coulda been burned in the combustion chamber goes to waste for emissions..
Zack
2003 RC SWB Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
14.936 @ 90.07 MPH
FastD

Post by FastD »

There is no doubt it's a awesome motor only time will tell how it holds up over time. I don't hate Ford cars and trucks I hate the people running it...why can't they come up with their own ideas for commercials instead of copying Dodge...and I find it hard to believe a 5.4 (non-lightning) can out run and out pull a Hemi Ram. :roll:
dodgedifferent2

Post by dodgedifferent2 »

ya the 5.7 HEMI is a semi HEMI it is like the 427/429?? Ford cobra jet engine

That Ford commecial really pissed me off as well wasnt the engine in that truck bigger?? i thought it was 6.1L / 7.0L or something like that and that is why i figured it beat the HEMI mind ya we know it is still hollywood doctorin it up oh wait it Ford bein copy cats again!!!!!
mnc2886

Post by mnc2886 »

That new ford is a 5.6 with 300 hp and 365 lbs of torque. One word...blows.
dodgedifferent2

Post by dodgedifferent2 »

ok then it is hollywood
chevy38fan

Post by chevy38fan »

its definately hollywood. but believe it or not, a ford 5.4 will beat a hemi in the 1/16 mile. (think half the size of an 1/8 mile strip) or 330 ft. LOL. why? because its all low end torque, the hemi is all high end torque. once the hemi hits 3000-3500 rpms its over. no contest. the hemi will just pull and pull and will have quite a few truck lengths on the ford when the 1/8 mile is over and done with (a half second or so, which is roughly 3 truck lengths)
Zack
2003 RC SWB Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
14.936 @ 90.07 MPH
mnc2886

Post by mnc2886 »

That is gearing, not engine power. If they set up a street strip gearing, ford would be left way behind.
Hemidakota

Post by Hemidakota »

Most Ford commericals are hype than reality.

Hemi engine can be rebuilt.

Someone like Hughes Engineering have done it already. ]

Few other vendors are working on aftermarket products.

Charger PVO version will get the 6.1 ltr.

The 6.1 ltr will also be released in the coming model year for the Ram.
Steve
Future Purchase: 2006 Charger SRT-8/2006 MegaCab 6.1 Hemi
"Coming soon 600HP SRT-10 to pull the SRT-4 & SRT-8 Charger to the track!"