New HEMI Ram 2500 Heavy Duty CNG

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

scottm

New HEMI Ram 2500 Heavy Duty CNG

Post by scottm »

New Ram 2500 Heavy Duty CNG Engineered In-House
http://wot.motortrend.com/new-ram-2500- ... 76973.html
Yesterday, General Motors announced the 2013 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500 HD pickups would be available with a bi-fuel capability. Today, Ram Truck announced the Ram 2500 Heavy Duty CNG pickup.

But, unlike the GM twins, the Ram 2500 Heavy Duty CNG pickup was developed in-house by Chrysler and will be built at its Heavy Duty truck plant in Saltillo, Mexico. Chrysler says the Ram 2500 Heavy Duty CNG pickup was designed for fleet and commercial customers because it’s cleaner burning and less expensive compared to conventional gasoline.

All Ram 2500 Heavy Duty CNG pickups are powered by Chrysler’s 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 that has been modified to run on both conventional gasoline and compressed natural gas. New valves and valve-seat materials have been added to the redesigned cylinder heads – a move necessary to allow the engine to run on both compressed natural gas and conventional gasoline. It also gains an additional fuel rail and injectors for the compressed natural gas. Finally, new spark plugs and a new engine management computer monitor the engine when running either fuel.

Two 4.6 cubic-foot (130-liter) CNG tanks reside in the front of the Ram 2500 Heavy Duty CNG pickup’s eight-foot bed. Combined, the two natural gas tanks capacity equal a gasoline equivalent of 18.2 gallons. The tanks are mounted to the frame and covered by a steel cover. The Ram 2500 Heavy Duty CNG pickup has a range of 255 miles on compressed natural gas and an additional 122 miles thanks to the eight-gallon gasoline tank, for a total range of 367 miles. The fuel filler door hides both the CNG filler connection and the gasoline fuel neck.

The Ram 2500 Heavy Duty CNG uses a small amount of gasoline on initial start up but switches over to compressed natural gas. When the compressed natural gas tanks are depleted the engine computer seamlessly transitions to conventional gasoline.

The Ram 2500 Heavy Duty CNG powertrain components – including the CNG-specific parts – are covered by a 5-year/50,000 mile powertrain warranty. The rest of the truck carries a 3-year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, which includes the compressed natural gas tanks, storage compartment and fuel filler equipment.
Our beloved Gen 3 HEMI now runs on CNG!
392heminut

Re: New HEMI Ram 2500 Heavy Duty CNG

Post by 392heminut »

Cool! Wonder if I could fill up right at home?
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

With a special high pressure pump you can fill it from your home gas line. And if using natural gas, it would be completely powered by a domestic energy source!
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Thanks David! I kind of figured some type of booster pump would be needed due to the low pressure used in the system. I am with you 100% on the domestic energy source, now all I have to do is figure out how I'm going to pay for the truck! :lol:
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

392heminut wrote:...now all I have to do is figure out how I'm going to pay for the truck! :lol:
Now that's funny! :lol:
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law