No BS Engine Limits

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

RamFan69

No BS Engine Limits

Post by RamFan69 »

I am designing a retro Cuda Clone and want to put a new FI 6.1L Hemi in it. I have plans to order a crate engine with a stand alone management system, twin turbos, etc. What I am looking for is what is the HP limit of the stock bottom end of a 6.1L hemi. Does anyone know? I have also heard that in stock form the valve train can only handle 6800-7000 rpm. Does anyone have any real world data to assist me. If the newer engines can't handle 800HP like I have been told I want to go with a crate 426 and build a carb fueled car.

Please let me know what you all know.

Thanks!
------------------------------------
2007 Ram 1500 Big Horn
2005 Durango Limited
S F Racing - Speed is a Byproduct
All Source Customs - You dream it, we build it...
gremlinsteve

Post by gremlinsteve »

we have one hitting 615 and 645 at the wheel. with a 18 percent loss through the mercedes drive train, thats about 725 at the crank.

i would say its doable. the rod needs to be replaced as would that stock piston tho.. they are your weak links.

steve
Schurkey

Post by Schurkey »

There's a magazine on the newsstands right now--mid December 2007--that details a 5.7 Hemi buildup using new Mopar Performance heads, a blower, and aftermarket computer. It's either Engine Masters/Popular Hot Rodding, or Hot Rod Engines.

They're claiming 700+ horsepower on stock crank and rods; but the sidebar says they don't expect it to last long.

Still, that's mighty impressive.