Stock PCM and TCM

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

mopardwh

Stock PCM and TCM

Post by mopardwh »

Can anyone please clarify why no one is using the stock PCM/TCM for converting a late model car/truck? I understand there may be problems with the gauges not communicating with the PCM properly, but what if you use the gauges from a donor as well? Aren't there wheel speed sensors or something that cause problems as well? And if so, could they be adapted to accomodate a later car/truck? Thanks...
Doug
mopardwh

Post by mopardwh »

Also: Would prefer to use the new 5 speed, and not afraid to cut the floor. But if I have to use an older tranny, could I flash a stock PCM to think it's a manual?
Doug
mopardwh

Post by mopardwh »

mopardwh wrote:Also: Would prefer to use the new 5 speed, and not afraid to cut the floor. But if I have to use an older tranny, could I flash a stock PCM to think it's a manual?
Well, to save anyone ELSE the frustration of searching for this info, I found out why no one has converted this tranny to another vehicle. Or at least this guy found out, the hard way.
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index ... c=28388.45

Also, here is a whole lot more info on doing a 5.7 swap.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... PHPSESSID=
Doug
Langlioni

Post by Langlioni »

I got a take out engine and trans from a 2005 Ram. The trucks are a bit better because all the accessories are more to the top of the motor and lessen the chance of interfering in the car. I put it into a '72 charger with an ALTERKATION from end that I ordered with the Hemi mounts. The 545-rfe trans was from a 4x4, but it can be converted to 2wd with a tail housing kit from a dodge dealer, $160. I put in a comp 268 cam, Mopar 6.1L push rods and 6.1L Exhaust springs on all the valves right away. The wiring I got from the donor as complete as possible and using a wiring diagram put it all back together. Mine works great, throttle by wire and all. The fuel pump, starter, ect all run through the computer. Several things had to be eliminated (EVAC system)and give codes, but don't effect how in runs. The harnesses and flashed computer from S&P will give you the same thing. I didn't want to fork out the $1000 for the S&P harness so I made my own. I know others that have also and work fine. I had to cut the tunnel out larger for the bigger trans, but overdrive will be worth it. If you want to stay with the three speed an auto computer can be flashed to a VIN from a vehicle that had a manual. TTI makes custom headers for my application. I did a aeromotive tsunami fuel pump on the rail and did the 99 corvette fuel filter with built in regulator trick that S&P does, but I bought the filter from carquest for half the price of the S&P one.

Hope this helps you out, anything else let me know.
1972 Ralley Charger with 5.7L HEMI and 5spd auto swap
mopardwh

Post by mopardwh »

Hey thanks.
Doug