03 Ram electrical problem

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

roblh

03 Ram electrical problem

Post by roblh »

I need to know if anyone else has heard of this:
2003 Ram 2500 QC 4x4, completely stock, + synthetic fluids and Bosch platinum plugs.

The engine shut off with no warning of any kind. Then, before I could get off the highway, it re-started all by itself. I didn't try to turn the key, and I didn't have it in neutral yet - it just fired back up. The trip odometer and mileage readings had reset to 0, and all the radio presets were gone, so it seems the entire electrical system dropped out. I went straight to the dealer (still under warranty at that time) and they told me there was nothing wrong, because no trouble codes were set.
A couple of weeks ago, the check engine light came on. When I had it read, it showed an evaporative emissions problem (this was fixed under warranty 2 years ago, but now is back). I don't remember the exact code number. I haven't been able to get it fixed yet because of my work schedule - last time it took 3 days for the dealer to fix it.
This morning, nothing happened when I turned the key - no lights, no ignition, nothing. I tried again, and still got nothing. The third time I turned the key, there was a slight delay, then the truck started normally. But again, the odom and mileage were reset to 0, and the radio presets were erased.
Can anyone tell me what is happening? The local dealership is clueless.
roblh - '03 2500 Quad Cab 4x4
gocirino

Post by gocirino »

I too have electrical problems in my Ram. I get all or some of my instrument gauges go to zero and return to normal. I also get check engine lights with 036 codes (crank sensor) but after changing the sensor it all comes back again. Now after I drive for more than an hour my engine stumbles occasionally as if I turned the key to the off position and back. I might add that I have a Banks six gun system now for two years and that might be part of the problem. i am so sick of dealing with this that I am ready to sell it.

03' Ram 3500 - 42000 miles

Have you checked this site?

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/
1968 Dart
roblh

electrical problem

Post by roblh »

I don't have a diesel. Mine is the Hemi gas engine. I have talked to a mechanic friend who says it seems to be losing the main power somehow. We can't figure out how, though.
roblh - '03 2500 Quad Cab 4x4
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

I'd double check all your ground straps and make sure they're tight. I'd start with the PCM ground and go from there. The one that connects the heads together on the backside, is a pain to get to.
392 Blown Hemi